KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Technician
Experience:  10+ years experience in electronics
70193065

Hi I have a LG 32lg5700 tv, its quite old, but is a good telly.

Hi I have a LG 32lg5700 tv, it's quite old, but is a good telly. The problem is when you turn it on it has verticle coloured lines but the sound is ok. This started a couple of weeks ago and at first it used to come on ok after a short while but now not at all. Any ideas cheers.
Gary
Category: TV
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 3 years ago.

KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer: Date in the back of the tv says 2006
KevinWhiteJA :

OK thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

which connectors have you checked ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean have you checked the boards as well for any puffed capacitors

Customer: Everything looked ok, but I don't know what I'm looking at, just checked the connectors.
KevinWhiteJA :

OK, how good are your DIY skills ?

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test the board with a multimeter or can you just check some components on the unit ?

KevinWhiteJA :

I believe the problem is with the Backlight Inverter Board

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

This is the Back lights inverter board for your unit

Customer: I like playing with watches, I ain't got a multimeter, will have check components, can you give me ten while I get the back off again.
KevinWhiteJA :

Sure no problem

Customer: Hi kevin
Customer: I have got the back off and looking at the board in your picture
KevinWhiteJA :

ok

KevinWhiteJA :

do you see any puffed caps ?

Customer: Nope, looks like your pic, just check your pic again
KevinWhiteJA :

sorry I don't understand ?

Customer: Just comparing to see if something looks different, I notice there's a detachable fuse, could that be it? Lower right on your picture
KevinWhiteJA :

ok so that fuse is blown ?

Customer: Looks ok, just throwing some ideas in,
KevinWhiteJA :

ok, usually I will replace that board completely however...a repair kit is also available which includes smaller caps

KevinWhiteJA :

looking at the age of this unit I would recommend to replace the board...a new one will cost around £45

KevinWhiteJA :

however, if you want to replace a part then it will be better to get the board checked by a local tech. so that you can replace the exact part which is bad

Customer: You would recommend changing the board then? I might change this fuse first and take it from there. I have ordered a new telly anyway so this could be a project for myself.
KevinWhiteJA :

:) Yes you can try changing the fuse but if the problem returns then changing the board will be recommended

KevinWhiteJA :

just make sure to leave the unit unplugged for few hours before you perform any kind of repair

Customer: No problem, I com from a factory background, no touchy until all power off!
KevinWhiteJA :

OK :) ...You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Is there anything else I can assist you with today ?

Customer: Do I just com back to this page and you will answer?
KevinWhiteJA :

Yes that is right

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – you can also use the REPLY link that you will receive in your email for further assistance..

Customer: Cheers XXXXX XXXXX I think it's beer time now!
KevinWhiteJA :

Cheers :)...Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance....Have a Good One