IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

samsung ue32f5000akxxu screen black

Customer Question

Hi, I tried to connect my laptop and my samsung ue32f5000akxxu led tv and when I shared the screen via s-video scart cable the display on the tv went black. I can hear only sound but no picture and I can't turn it back. Please tell me what should I do.

Category: TV
Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

It sounds like you changed input mode on the TV. First and foremost remove the Svideo cable from the tv. Using the TV itself, there should be a button (near the power button) that will switch modes, you'll have to cycle through them. The reason you're still getting sound is that you're likely using a receiver (just an assumption without knowing).

Furthermore, the reason it went black to begin with using the video out from the laptop can vary, out of range, incorrect resolution, etc. Usually when connecting via S-video it requires a bit if tweaking in the display properties on the COMPUTER, not the TV.

So if you attempt this again, using the svideo, after setting it up you'll want to right click on your desktop, click properties. In the settings, you should see a drop down box to choose which display to configure. You'll need to play with the resolutions of the TV output and apply each change until the screen comes up and then that is an acceptable resolution the TV will accept.

Let me know if you're still stuck or if you manage to get it up and running. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Justin,

I tried to switch sources on the as I could remember, but I can't see what I'm doing. I applied all the resolutions but nothing happened.

Do you have any other idea?

Gr.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
Just check your connections, be sure you didn't pull out whatever you were previously using (hdmi, dvi, component, etc).

Even with no data source 99% of tv's will still show what input it's on as you cycle through them using the source button regardless.

But then again, when you click the menu button on the TV, does the menu bar even come up? That should come up no matter what, regardless of source.

If not let me know, this should be over in the TV section as it's clearly nothing to do with the laptop.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing come up, I can't see anything on the tv, no regular channels no shared screen, nothing.

Expert:  Justin replied 2 years ago.
I'm going to opt out and see if we have a TV expert that's willing to jump on, to me this sounds hardware related but I am not an expert with the tv electronics. Better we get you to someone who is.

You do not need to respond further, you'll receive a reply when a technician is available.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro.

Since I also own a Samsung Smart TV (a similar model to yours), I decided to help you with this issue.

In case you don't see anything when you power on the TV, I suggest accessing the Samsung Service Menu where you can reset TV settings to their defaults. That should help restore the picture.

To do that, please follow these instructions:

1. Make sure the TV is plugged in, but turned off. Un-plug all video connectors such as HDMI, S-video, etc

2. Point the remote control at the TV, and enter this key combination:

Info - Menu - Mute - Power

3. The TV will power on and enter the Samsung Service Menu. While you are there, browse through the menus and look for "Factory Defaults"

4. Confirm the reset and your TV should be functional again

I hope this helps!

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I have done this reset, but I didn't get back the picture to choose from the menu even the sound has gone now as well. The picture stayed dark dark purple.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

If the problem was software based, that reset should have helped. There is no other reset.

So, if the reset wasn't helpful, and if you say the sound stopped working as well, it seems to be a hardware issue.

Do you still have warranty for your TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I do.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

In that case, please contact the shop you bought the TV from, or Samsung directly, to report the issue and ask for repair or replacement, since it seems to be a hardware problem.

It is strange that simple attempt to connect your computer with the TV via S-video cable could cause such problem. Since the reset to factory defaults didn't help, it indicates that the problem must be hardware-based.

Regards,
IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this is what I did figure out as well. Already contacted on last Sunday Samsung they told the factory reset also and today I'm on the way to a dedicated service center.

I hoped I can fix it at home, but seems like only the engineers can help. Thank you for your effort and answers.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hi!

Yes, I also hoped we could fix it without the need of taking your TV for a repair, but unfortunately, this is not the case.

At least you know the reset procedure in case you need it in the future.

Best regards,
IT Miro