Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Toshiba tv sound goes off I have to switch tv off and back

Toshiba tv sound goes off I have to switch tv off and back and I get sounds
It could last most of night without losing sound
Then the next minute I am switching
TV off every 5 mins
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. Please keep in mind that there may be a few minutes between replies, as I research your problem.

What is the model number off of the back of the set?
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Also, what is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.), and do you get NO sound on the TV regardless of which Device you select?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, the model is LCD 32inch Tv
Model: 32BV501B
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
When you press the MENU button you should then be able to scroll to setup, then to installation. Can you see these options?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I can
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, so if you then click on installation, do you see any options for channel setup, or channel scan, etc.?
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I replied with the wrong information. That reply was for another customer.

So, what I need to know from you,for this question, is the following:

What is connected to the TV for devices (Cable Box, DVD, Game system, etc.), and do you get NO sound on the TV regardless of which Device you select?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi the only thing that is connected to
The tv is the free view box and no matter what
I select I still get no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, from the Freeview box to the TV, are you using an HDMI cable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry not too sure. When I first bought the TV the company set everything up along with
The cables
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, we'll need to know as this is the most important piece of the puzzle. HDMI cables are notorious for this problem, so if that's what you're using, then you'd want to replace that first.

Can you simply look and follow the cable(s) from the back of the box to the back of the TV and describe them to me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a scart cable to the back of the tv
Which is then connect to the free view box the aerial is plugged into the free view box
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Please shut the Freeview box and the TV both off, then disconnect them from power.

Disconnect and reconnect that Scart cable making sure it is secure. Then plug the devices back in and power them up to reboot the system.Now I realize that this issue may not occur for hours- if at all, so if the problem goes beyond that, it sounds more likely that the Freeview box is causing the problem than the TV. When you're power cycling the TV off and back on again, you're refreshing the signal from the box to the set.

So, in that case you would ask the provider to swap out the freeview box as the next attempt to fix the issue. This is common as the processors in these boxes will act up in this manner, but if you still are encountering this problem, then you have a fault in the Mainboard of the TV- which processes the audio and video signals.

In the latter case you would actually need to have the set serviced to have the mainboard replaced, which is on average a $225 repair.

These are the steps we need to take to effectively solve the problem, as we don't have another device (such as a DVD player, etc.) we can test to see if the problem is the TV itself....or simply the Freeview box.

If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric