MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

Hitachi L22DK04U serial #V10102923 and Toshiba 22DV500B serial

Customer Question

Hitachi L22DK04U serial #V10102923 and Toshiba 22DV500B serial # XXXXX 10650 K1 - these TVs are the same, just differently badged.

Both have been turned on for the first time in several months, and say "no signal". There IS a signal as another identical Toshiba is working fine, as are other tvs. The menus on the affected tvs are different from the working one, although the Toshiba model no is identical.

I suspect the problem is a digital re-tune and/or a software update that has been missed. The area Cornwall UK, St Ives.

I have performed an autosearch for signals, but this does not find anything.

Any suggestions, please. I am sure the tv is in working order, it is simply not finding the signal for some reason.
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 3 years ago.
I am Tech Michael and I will be assisting you today.
Please be patient with us as these are technical questions and some testing may be required.
It may take a bit of back and forth conversation to be sure we have all the information in order to make a proper diagnosis.
How old are the TVs?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They were bought in March and July 2011

Hi Colin,
Did they both seem to fail at the same time?
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but the reason for that is they've probably not been used since October 2013. Both failed to retune when retuning all the tvs.

Do any of the TVs you tune now?
And are they all hooked up to the same antenna or cable signal box?
Or are they all independent?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All the tvs in the house are on a "system". One of the non-tuning tvs has been moved to an aerial socket which is known to work.

One point is that the 3rd working tv appears to have a software setup identical to a manual I have downloaded - a Toshiba manual for the model no - whereas the 2 non-working ones appear to be different but identical to each other.

thank you,
What I am asking is, are they all on the same aerial?
I suspect not.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, yes, they are all on the same aerial which is fed to an amplifier which then distributes the signal. What I will now do, is move a working tv onto a connection used by a non-working tv and see if that works ok. That should then eliminate aerial issies.

Thanks Colin, thats what I was going to suggest next.
The reason is that Air signals are no longer being broadcast in that area.
You may need a digital converter to receive them now.
please let me know I will stick with you until this is solved but since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
You will then be able to contact me at anytime at no additional cost until we have this fixed for you.

Thank you Colin.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The identical working tv was moved to the aerial socket used by one of the non-tuning tvs, and it works fine, performing an autotune scan as I would expect. By "Air", I presume you mean analogue. These are digital tvs anyway so there should be no need for any converter and, as I say, there is one working perfectly, bought at the same time.and it has not been modified in any way.

Hi Colin, yes that what I mean, but you may have two or more sockets that dont work, please let me know how it goes when you move one to a known working one;-)
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Non working tv moved to known working socket - tv still not working.

Working tv moved to location of non-working tv - tv still works.I don't think aerial sockets are the issue.

Thanks Colin, its strange that the two sets failed at the same time. This would indicate one thing only. A slight power surge that zapped bother of the tuners.
They would need new tuner boards.
They are easy enough to replace with only a few tools.
If you would like to fix these yourself with
my help please let me know. I can help you locate the part needed;-)
Thank you Colin, please rate kindly before closing this page.
Tech Michael

MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience: I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The failure at the same time cannot be assumed - simply that they were turned on together for the first time in a long time. By that I mean that they were not connected to a mains supply. I have also remembered, that one had not been connected to the aerial since July/August 2013. The autotune goes through the motions of scanning for a signal but doesn't find anything.

I'm ok to do a repair myself but a) what is parts cost likely to be and b) how quickly can they be obtained. In this context time is important.

Thanks Colin, it would take a about a week to get the part.
And about an hour to replace each one. I have seen this problem many times in the past.
The part is about $60.00 US.
If that wont be quick enough you may want to take it to a local TV Repair shop, they can fix that for you in half that time but for a bit more money obviously.
Please let me know Colin, I will stick with you.
But as I was saying, since this may take some time, if you will rate my service in a positive fashion thus far before you close this page, the system will allow me to schedule free follow ups with you and also ensure your question will NOT close or time out;-)
One way or another these are worth the cost of the part and repair;-)

Thank you Colin and have a great day.
Tech Michael