Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hi, Im trying to make use of my Pioneer PDP 502MXE display/TV.

Hi, I'm trying to make use of my Pioneer PDP 502MXE display/TV. It's an old model and doesn't have an HDMI port. So I bought myself an HDMI to SDI converter and have tried connecting it to every port on the back of the display but am having no luck getting a picture. The ports are HD, VD, R, G, B, Y, C (plus an IN and OUT port for audio I think, which I don't really need).

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need more than one SDI cable, or is there a setting on the display I need to change? Or am I just wasting my time?

Many thanks,

Tom
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.

What are you referring to as "SDI", as I am not familiar with that term?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, an HD-SDI or SD-SDI (high/standard definition serial digital interface) cable is used for broadcasting purposes. It's commonly used nowadays for connecting a video camera to a display for live feed purposes. But it also seems to be a precursor to HDMI in first generation high def televisions. But I don't know this for sure.

The SDI cables have BNC plug-to-plug connectors.

Does this help?

Tom
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply Tom. I understand what you mean now, it's just not a common name of the forma where I'm from. We either refer to Composite, Component, or DVI/HDMI. Now this converter that you have, as well as most other converters are finnicky at best and some will not even work. If the converter is to strip down the HDCP 1080P signal of the HDMI to a non-HDCP 480P signal, it needs to be of high quality. Do the plugs from the converter connect to the TV's Red,White and Yellow Composite jacks?

Also, what device are you connecting to the Input of the Converter (Blu Ray player, Cable Box, etc.)?

It is likely that the converter simply cannot get rid of the High Def Copyright Protection encoded into the HDMI signal.

If you have the option from the peripheral to use Component Video, I would highly recommend that over the use of a converter. However if you don't have that option, please tell me:

1) The Make and Model of the device connected to the converter via HDMI.

2) The Make and Model of the converter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Currently I'm testing the converter using my Playstation 3 Slim. The converter itself is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ICFJJTS/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

thanks again

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Tom. Here's the thing, if you're trying to use a converter to convert the HDMI signal from the PS3 slim, then this isn't what you want to do. The converter is trying to take an HD signal and step it down to standard def anyways, so the solution would be to simply use the correct AV cable for the PS3 to connect to this TV.

Th standard def av connection for the PS3 is below for purchase:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Video-AV-Cable-FOR-SONY-PS2-PS3-PLAYSTATION-2-3-/170686568873?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This eliminates trying to convert a signal down to SD, when the cable above is designed specifically for this purpose.

If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to rate my service accordingly.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, sorry for the late response. The thing is it IS supposed to support HD, only up to 720p but still better than standard def. I've had it connected to my computer for a couple of years and when watching say Netflix, which plays HD quality when the connection is good, the picture is superb.

The BNC sockets at the back are designed to take HD- and SD-SDI cables for standard def AND high def picture.

But the chances are I need more than one cable to make up a component bundle, which will probably also mean looking for a much more expensive converter, which still may not even work anyway.

So I think it might be better off sending the converter back and buying a much cheaper HDMI-to-VGA converter instead...

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay, in that case then you can purchase the Component PS3 adapter, as the PS3 supports 720P as well. No converter is needed as you would simply plug the cable into the PS3, and then reset the video output:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/ps3-component-cable

Then RCA to BNC adapters:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/bnc-plug-to-phono-socket-adapter-fa11m

That's all that is needed- no expensive converters.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you very much for all your help, I will look into the RCA/BNC adaptor approach. The only problem I can see with it is that to buy enough BNC cables to attach to the PS3 component leads, I'll be spending even more money than I'd originally intended and I'm really looking for a solution that benefits my computers, DVD player AND the PS3. And on top of that this correspondence has set me back £22 and I was really hoping for cost effective solution. I will look into it though.

All the best

Tom

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
The things is though, that in order to get an actual converter that really can convert HDMI to component you will spend much more money. Those converters are very unreliable and in most cases will NOT work due to HDMI being encrypted with HDCP (High Def Copyright Protection).

The solution I gave above is the best for your situation based on my 25 years in the field and that is the only solution I would recommend. If the converter itself worked, then you would not have come here in the first place no?

Please take a moment to rate me once satisfied so that the site credits me- otherwise your deposit simply is sitting in an account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree yes! I'm going to return the original converter, try the cheap VGA option and if that doesn't work, I will of course go ahead with your suggestion.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay that sounds good. Could you please kindly take a moment to rate me? It does not close the dialogue and you can still follow up if needed.