Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Technician
Experience:  Many years experience with all TV and surround/hi-end audio systems setup and troubleshooting.
25267123

Hi I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES10EB/EBL model. I

Hi I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES10EB/EBL model. I need to change it to accept TV output in 16:9 ratio. I changed the apect in functions to 16:9. But it still is recording in the ratio of 4:3. What should I do
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.
According to the manual you have to use DVD -RAM disks to do that DVD-R will default to 4:3, see picture:

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that DVD-RAM discs can only be read on certain machines, those compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. This is obviously quite a restriction. Can you give me a list of companies that allow DVD-RAM discs to be read? I see that my Toshiba laptop does not list the DVD-RAM as an option. Do Apple computers read DVD-RAM?

Thanks for your help

Simon

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your email just now - I have read and made a reply but you have not received it??

Simon

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Your recorder supports them what do you want to do with them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to use the saved video to play on a computer or another DVD player which is not Panosonic.

Simon

Unfortunately:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/9716-dvr-r-dvdr-dvd-ram-whats-the-difference

DVD-RAM discs are not generally compatible with living room DVD players. You will find standalone living room DVD burners using the DVD-RAM format, and even some camcorders, but you should not consider DVD-RAM to be a general-purpose distribution format for video.

About all you can do is connect your computer video output to the TV to play them or find another DVD player that takes those disks. Other than that you can buy a new DVD recorder that will record 16:9 and does not require DVD RAM disks. I wish there was a better answer for you.