Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Sony Bravia kdl37ex503 has a dark picture and 2 thin lines

My Sony Bravia kdl37ex503 has a dark picture and 2 thin lines across the top,can you help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your TV. I want to let you know that providing you with the best possible assistance I can is my main priority, and my livelihood depends on your feedback.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?

If you press MENU on the TV itself, does the MENU display normally and bright, or is it also dark and do the lines go over the MENU?

Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Eric,my set is almost 3 years old,and the problem started 3 days ago,the picture was ok when I turned it off to go to bed, in the morning all had changed.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The entire Info Request is VERY important.

Specifically, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?

Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I get menu

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
By grabbing the Sony remote and pressing MENU or HOME.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

still dark with lines

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
So the lines are OVER the MENU, or the MENU is OVER the lines please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The lines are at the top of screen,not quite sure what you mean.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
These symptoms usually indicate a fault in the LCD processing in the TV. However sometimes they can be cured with a hard reboot.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and let me know if there are any changes at all on the TV.

If so, then the processor in the TV simply needed to be reset. This can occur from time to time on these sets.

However if the screen is still dark and the lines are still present, then the TV has an internal fault.

There are several things which could cause your problem. One is the Power Supply, the other is the T-Con (LCD Timing controller), or the LCD panel itself has failed. The only one of these issues that is NOT repairable is a failed LCD panel.

A fault in the Power Supply can cause these lines on the screen- specifically the output that feeds the LCD timing controller. Average cost for this type of repair is around $250 parts and labor on this set.
Another possibility is the T-Con Board, which processes all Video signals before they display on the LCD panel. Average cost for this repair is $200 parts and labor.

If the Power Supply and T-Con are not causing the problem, then you're looking at a faulty LCD panel- and this is not good news as it costs as much as the TV did when new to replace the panel. The set would in this case be considered "non-repairable".

I with there was a quick fix and know this isn't the answer you'd hoped for.

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).