Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

LG 50ps3000 only showing bottom half, top half is black. Can

Customer Question

LG 50ps3000 only showing bottom half, top half is black. Can you tell me whats wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.

- How old is the TV and how long it have had this problem?
- Is top half of screen totally black and no display appears at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TV is about 5 years old. Only started is morning, last night it was fine. Top half is black sometimes it flickers. Bottom is normal.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
OK, have you tried to unplug TV power cord form wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug and check?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, did that already this morning, top will flicker then turn bllack.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Neil for the info.
This kind of problem occurs due to failure of scan drive board mounted on top left side at rear of TV, please check following image to view the board location marked with yellow arrow..

http://i.imgur.com/dCASipg.jpg

Please reply back if you are repairing this TV yourself to assist you with more info OR may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area to get repair quote that could be $200 to $250 (if you are in US)..

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you advising to change scan drive board?
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Yes, because top half of screen is black/ no display happens due to failure of that board marked with yellow arrow in above sample picture.

Hope this info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the sample picture same as my LG50PS3000?
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Yes, its LG 50PS3000 picture, please remove the back cover of your TV and take a good picture for me and post it here or upload it any file sharing site and post the link here so I can download / view it to assist you by that picture that will make things easy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I get back to you next week, its on the wall and need someone to give me a hand to bring it down as it is heavy. I'll take a picture and post it here. Is the scan drive board same as buffer board? I am looking around for the part.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

No, buffer boards are mounted at bottom of display panel and on left side you will see two scan drive boards, top one isn't sending out signals to display panel thus it stays black, lower one is working so you get picture in that area.

This board also knows as Y Scan Drive board and following supplier have it in stock..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=LG+50PS3000

OR get the part number off of scan drive board in TV to search/ google it for better price.

Please book mark this page to open it up at later time to reply, you can post follow up questions even after rating this answer and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The site you gave was US , im in UK
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
You may please get that required board at ebay.co.uk or partmaster.co.uk etc

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/tv-projector/lg/50ps3000//catalogue.pl?path=99178,109164:99180&model_ref=581993&refine=LG 50PS3000&page=2

All we need the part number off of the board in TV to search/ google it for price and stock info at UK suppliers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll message you once I got the part number next week. Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Sure, I'll be waiting for the part number info to assist you further.
Thank you and have nice time!

Shahid.