Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a 2 day old Sharp LC60UQ10 TV. It is connected via HDMI

I have a 2 day old Sharp LC60UQ10 TV. It is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-NR636 Receiver. A Sony Blu-ray player and Sky HD go through the Receiver. The receiver is set to Passthrough of signal from input to output via HDMI. When the picture mode of the TV is anything other than Game I get lip-sync issues (on DVD and Blu-ray). Is this the TV being too slow to process the picture versus the Receiver sending out the sound? What can I do about it?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Nathan :

Onkyo receivers are notorious for having hdmi problems. I think the issue is most likely in the receiver not syncing the sound (or outputting video) in proper sync. Though It could certainly be a tv issue as well.

Nathan :

Since changing the lip sync setting on onkyo didn't help, you do have a few other options,

Nathan :

You'd get the best results though from connecting your sources (satellite, bluray, etc) direct to the tv via hdmi.

Nathan :

Then run a single optical cable from the Digital Audio Out port on back of tv to the onkyo for sound

Nathan :

You certainly can change the audio format to PCM, which is basically a stereo bitstream, and is lower bandwidth, but it is also going to be lower quality (stereo, not surround)

Nathan :

Using the optical connection should accomplish the same thing though, and give full digital surround, and let the tv do all the processing.

Nathan :

You might want to check for and install any available firmware updates on the tv as well.

Nathan :

I see no reason to change your hdmi cables, unless you have 4k video sources

Nathan :

I would check for firmware updates on the onkyo as well, if you have not done so lately.

Customer:

Hi, checked TV for firmware and it stated no updates required. I read somewhere else that all inputs should go through the TV then the sound out via optical to the receiver.With the current settings and connections, if I change the expected input on the TV HDMI to PCM will that mean the TV is spending less effort on processing and therefore improve the response time overall (the sound out via the receiver to the speakers will still be DD etc).

Customer:

I will try the direct connections and optical out to the receiver. This does mean the receiver upscaling to 4k cannot be used :(