Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

i have a panasonic vhs/dvd recorder dmrez47v hardly been used...wont

i have a panasonic vhs/dvd recorder dmrez47v hardly been used...wont work.. display says [insert disk] help please...
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. How long have you owned the Panasonic for and when did this problem occur?

Also did it happen after a storm, or power outage, or an extended period of non-use?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi there thanks for replying, I've had the machine for about 4 years but it has not worked for about 2 years now. It just seemed to stop working, there was no power cut or anything like that and while it wasn't used very often it had not been sitting unused for a very long time. The disc drawer closes and opens again when it is switched on and the message "Insert disc" flashes on the display for a short while then the machine switches itself back off.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply John, and I am familiar with this problem. Anytime these machines flash an error, or a command on the screen before shutting down, it's a fault in the Power Supply Circuit. The most common cause is the voltage regulator IC chip, and 2 capacitors that are in the circuit after the regulator. Unfortunately there isn't a pushbutton reset that will force the machine to operate and it requires component replacement inside the unit. The average cost for this repair is about $5 for the regulator chip, and $1 each for the capacitors (there are two), but the labor involved entails removing the power supply PCB (as the components solder onto the bottom of the board), and is around $150 on top of the parts for a total of $160 parts and labor roughly. Given the cost of these players, and the fact that it's 4 years old- even though lightly used, it would make more sense to replace versus repair- as a replacement machine is typically around $200-$225. I'm sorry for the bad news, and if you can solder and are comfortable working with electronics, then I may be able to locate replacement parts and send you links to purchase them.

If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive. Subscription is not required and your question does not close when you rate. You are rating my advice and information NOT how this site works or how your device functions (note that a negative rating does not issue a refund).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your diagnosis aric . one last toss of the coin...i saw on the internet that [insert disk] means its looking for a disk to reboot ...is this possible?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. You see, if the unit shuts itself down, then this wouldn't usually mean that it's looking for a disc. There isn't a specific "reboot disc", but if you try to put a disc in and the unit still shuts down, then this would be a fault in the regulator and filter capacitors as indicated above unfortunately.

Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back to me and I will continue to assist you. Best regards, Aric