Dan T.
Dan T., Master Technician
Experience:  USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.
42300671

Hi I have a Panasonic Viera TX-P42VT30B. Ive had it for about

Hi I have a Panasonic Viera TX-P42VT30B. I've had it for about two years and it's worked fine. Today, I was watching TV and it switched itself off. Now it's on standby and when I try to turn it on the green light comes on for about a second and then goes back to standby. Nothing comes up on the screen. I thought it might be the fuse and have changed it but I still have this problem.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to the site! I'm Dan.

Does standby LED ever turn red? Does it ever flash? Also, do you get sound or a picture when the TV comes on briefly?

Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan, Are you getting my responses? The LED is flashing now and has done since my TV switched itself off. The green light comes on when I depress the on button on the television but there is no sound and no picture.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.

The only response I received was this last one, "Are you getting my responses?"

Is the LED flashing red? How many times does it flash in between the longer pauses? Try to discern a pattern.

Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ah right, no problem.

It flashes seven times and then there is nothing for about a second before it starts flashing red again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ah right, it flashes seven times before there is a one second pause then it flashes seven times again.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
The red light flashes 7 times, pauses, then flashes 7 times again... but you can still turn it on and get a green light on front?

Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that's what happens. When I press the on button the LED turns green for about a second and then goes back to the red flashing.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I've worked with this model a lot, and this definitely appears to be an internal failure. Do you have any desire to get inside the TV yourself to make repairs? Or do you need a diagnosis and cost on repair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ah right thanks for your help Dan.

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, Clare. Are you wanting to know the diagnosis? Maybe what to do about it?

Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess I am just wondering what to do next. But thanks for your help. I'll have a think about it. How easy would it be for someone who has no knowledge of fixing TVs to get inside the TV?

Expert:  Dan T. replied 2 years ago.
Good questions, Clare.

If you have never worked with electronics, I wouldn't recommend starting with a TV. They're sometimes unforgiving, and can be dangerous.

Here's what to do next... you need to know that this TV was designed with a self-diagnosis feature. There's a little microprocessor inside the TV that monitors for abnormalities, and signals us through that flashing LED when it senses a problem. The circuit is designed to flash the LED in a certain pattern to help us determine where the problem could be.

Well in this case, 7 flashes on a TX-P42VT30B, indicates a failure of one of the TV's sustain boards. These are the boards responsible for sending signals to the plasma panel (the screen). They work pretty hard, and failure regularly I'm afraid.

You should bring the TV to a local repairer. Alternatively, if it's too awkward or heavy for you to move, they might come to you.

I hope this answers your question. If you need any clarification, fire away. If you're good to go, please don't log off without rating my service. I hope it was excellent!

Best,
Dan

Dan T., Master Technician
Experience: USAF trained; currently teaching electronics for the DoD.