Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

UK support required for a Samsung TV UE32ES5500. The TV has

UK support required for a Samsung TV UE32ES5500. The TV has suddenly lost all channels. I can only watch streamed programmes via my dongle through my home wireless network. When I try to retune, both manually and automatically it cannot pick up any channels.

I have checked all cables and wires and everything is in place.

What can I do to restore my TV channels?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

Are you using the tv with an aerial, basic cable, or cable/satellite box?

Nathan :

I'm assuming you're referring to freeview channels via an aerial. If so, then we are most likely looking at an internal hardware failure, meaning that the tv's tuner card is defective. That could be a manufacturing defect, age/use related failure, or damage from a power surge/lightening strike (especially if using an outdoor antenna)

Nathan :

The one thing you can try is a full reset of the tv, then retune.

Nathan :

I would also suggest you test the aerial with another tv to confirm that it is actually functional

For the reset:
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure. At that point you'd be looking at replacing the main board of the tv, which contains the tuner components.

Nathan :

For the costs and work involved, it would be simpler to just connect up an external hdtv/freeview tuner. But, depending on the results of the reset, and how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, recommending an external tuner, or recommending tv replacements.

Customer:

Hi Nathan

Nathan :

Customer:

I think it's connected via both a main aerial and through BT vision which is connected to my main tv. The guy that installed couldn't get BT on this TV so although the cable is connected I think it is picking up freeview via the main tv aerial if that makes sense.

Customer:

Yes, it is the freeview channels I am having problems with, so no BBC etc

Customer:

I did reset the TV but it didn't work but I didn't leave it off for an hour. Do you think that would make a difference?

Nathan :

Okay go into the tuner settings and be sure it's set to AIR and not cable (following the reset process I mentioned) then try to retune

Customer:

OK, will try that now...

Nathan :

Honestly, it probably won't make a difference,

Nathan :

but it doesn't hurt to try it either

Nathan :

sometimes if there is surge damage,

Nathan :

this process will let the internals of the tv clear,

Nathan :

more so than what would happen from the menu reset function that just clears the memory

Customer:

As soon as I switch the power on, the message says No stored channels found. Please run AUTO tuning. So I click ok

Customer:

Should it be AIR Digital & Analogue or just Air Digital?

Nathan :

Most likley just digital

Nathan :

you can try the & option though, it will just do a deeper scan. There really aren't anymore analogue broadcasts these days though, unless your BT cable is coming in that way

Customer:

It's going through the Auto Tuning but not picking anything up. Should I stop

Customer:

Funnily enough this time it now looks like it is picking up channels!

Nathan :

Okay let it just keep going until it stops on its own

Customer:

It's now picked up all the channels! I cannot believe it, it has been off for a couple of weeks and I have tried so many times to tune but failed! You must have brought some luck lol!

Nathan :

Sometimes that happens!

Customer:

So your message at the top says there is a number for you...for future reference for any other issues, can I contact by phone or via this portal?

Nathan :

Actually I did not realize initially that you were in the UK.

Nathan :

We can do a call, but it would not be toll free, and I'm in the US.

Nathan :

But you can always contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Customer:

Ah ok, no problem, I will contact you via justanswer if I have any future related problems. Thanks for your help.

Nathan :

You're very welcome, and have a great day!

Nathan

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.