Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Red standby light constantly blinking one media reciever box.

Customer Question

This happened after it was switched off at the box.
No light to tv. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here. I am also sending you an offer so you can reach me directly me by phone if preferred. Feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time if you need to get more help after our chat.

Nathan :

Could you please tell me the make/model of the device in question?

Nathan :

Is this perhaps the media receiver unit of a pioneer plasma tv system?

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : It's a PDP- r06xe
JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Yes it's is a pionner plasma
Nathan :

Thank you for the information. I see you've left me a "bad service" rating, prior to responding to me. If you wish to continue working with me, I'd ask you to hold your rating to the end, and that you have the same level of patience as you'd expect from me.

Nathan :

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Yes I'm sorry frustrated that I couldn't see an answer
Nathan :

I couldn't provide an answer without corresponding with you first.

Nathan :

This is an ongoing conversation, there is no instant fix, and there is a good chance there is no fix possible at all.

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : It also said you had disconnected. I do apologise it's been a very long trying day
Nathan :

However, I'll do my best to diagnose the problem for you and give you ever chance at resolving it.

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Thank you
Nathan :

That constantly blinking light on the media receiver is an error indicator,

Nathan :

it means that there is an internal hardware defect.

Nathan :

The most likely cause is that the internal power supply or control board has failed,

Nathan :

this is typically the result of damage from a power surge, but could just as easily be age related wear and tear, as this is getting to be an older system

Nathan :

Are you sure that the light is blinking constantly, and not in some pattern?

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : It was working fine today
JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : My daughter switched it off at the box. When we tried to switch it back on it was doing this
Nathan :

Electronics die suddenly, hardware failures not usually gradual. Things can work fine for years and stop instantly.

Nathan :

The media box most likely experienced a power surge while powering off,

Nathan :

even static shock from her finger could have fried a component on the main board

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : no pattern just slow blinking
Nathan :

There is a reset process we can attempt here

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : ok
Nathan :

first, I want you to double check that all the connections (the black and white cables) between the media box and the tv are secure

Nathan :

and that the tv power connection is secure

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : yes they are I checked those earlier
Nathan :

Then perform this reset process:

1) Unplug the power cord from the media box at the wall outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the box, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Ok will try that
Nathan :

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

Nathan :

At that point, it is time for a new tv. This system is now obsolete, parts are extremely difficult to find as they were discontinued years ago, and repairs would be very expensive, more than the cost of a replacement tv.

Nathan :

But, depending how you'd like to proceed, I can try to help with finding parts (used), a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options.

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Ok would it need to see a repairer then or is it broke
Nathan :

You can bookmark/favorite this page to get back in touch with me when you have a chance.

JACUSTOMER-gcifmrqr- : Ok will do I will also check how it stands on my insurance policy
Nathan :

It isn't worth repairing. If it was a component in the tv, possibly it could be fixed. The media boxes really cannot be practically repaired though, and you can't just buy a new box either. The tv is useless with out the box, but considering the age of the system, the tv as at the end of its life and would fail before long anway

Nathan :

You can certainly do that, especially if you can make the point that it may have been caused by a power surge

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, and have a good day,

Nathan

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tracey, just following up to see if you need any additional advice on repair or replacement options.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. Note that this step is required; as it is the only way I get credit for my time (from your existing deposit, no extra charge). I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, and have a good day,
Nathan