Steven
Steven, Technician
Experience:  Licensed TV repair technician in the US with over 30 experience in the US.
59014109

Telly go on and then cuts out after a short time then clicks

Customer Question

Telly go on and then cuts out after a short time then clicks back on and keeps doing same thing
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me:
1) What is the model number of the tv?
2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)?
3) Any brightness from the screen when this happens (though no picture)?
4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc) during this time?
5) Does this happen with all sources?
6) Are you able to bring up the on screen tv menu at all?

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Samsung dv3 1080p sr5. No flashing just black picture ,power seems to go of on TV only , no buzzing just click on and of then back on ,TV comes on can go on other channels but clicks off again
Nathan :

Thanks for the info,

Nathan :

so to be certain, you lose sound during this as well, meaning the whole tv is shutting down, not just the screen, correct?

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Yes the whole telly no sound or picture TV litually goes of
Nathan :

Okay,

Nathan :

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, typically a faulty power supply or main board (the 2 most common failure points). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This type of failure, caused by bad capcitors on the power supply, is extremely common with Samsung lcds.

Nathan :

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord at the mains

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Yes correct
Nathan :

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Nathan :

I didn't get the full model number from you (those are all features you listed), but if this is the model I think it is, from 2009, I would lean toward replacing over repairing, as it would be about the same price in the end, and you'd at least be getting a fresh warranty.

Nathan :

Rating me poorly won't fix the problem, or affect your payment. It isn't communicated with the maker of your product, or this site.

Rather a negative rating only serves to harm my professional reputation, and is effectively blaming me for your hardware problem. This is extremely unfair to me, when I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services.

I would greatly appreciate if you'd be kind enough to at least give me the courtesy of a reply so that we may communicate further, and give me a reasonable chance to resolve this issue for you.

Nathan :

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but in cases of a hardware defect like this, I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem, and recommending a practical course of action. You would have paid £100 to have an engineer come to your home to give you the same answer, and been in the same position.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Did you just say get new TV least you get a new warranty how is that helpfully ?
Nathan :

That was one suggestion, one possible course of action.

Nathan :

You can fix the tv yourself, if you're skilled with electronics repairs. I can help you with diagnostics and getting parts.

Nathan :

Or I can help you find a local repair shop.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : I'm in England ?
Nathan :

But there is no magic fix here, there is no reset button, or any other quick resolution. The tv has an internal hardware defect, which would require repairs to correct.

Nathan :

If I"m telling you that it would cost less to buy a new tv than to have this one repaired, it is saving you time and money. How is that not helpful?

Nathan :

Nathan :

Nathan :

Your location doesn't matter, the repair process is the same no matter where you are, just slight differences in parts availability.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : I no it's electrical cos cuts out ?
Nathan :

I want to help you here, but you're giving me very little information to go off of. I have no idea how you'd like to proceed, based on the 3 options I presented. I don't even have the full model number of the tv.

Nathan :

I can guide you further, but I would need some of that basic information from you.

Nathan :

Yes, it is an electrical issue, but there are 5 different components that could be at fault here.

Nathan :

Did you even start the reset process I mentioned?

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : On of switch just clicks of I think
JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Got to wait an hour have to do tomorrow
Nathan :

That isn't the switch clicking. The clicking sound is a relay attempting to engage. Most likely it is a bad power supply board that isn't putting out the proper voltage.

Nathan :

Again, this is something that would require repairs - replacing the power supply board, about a £150 part. If this is a 5 year old 32" tv, your money is better spent on a new set than fixing this one though.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Ok will a engineer now that straight away
Nathan :

But that decision is yours. I'm happy to advise further, but I still don't know what it is your hoping to accomplish.

Nathan :

With some diagnostic electrical testing, yes. They'd need to use some testing equipment to check the voltage outputs of the power supply

Nathan :

Figure on a £75-100 service call for diagnostics, plus parts and labor.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : It's 40 inch and cost £1200
Nathan :

On average you'd be in the £250-300 range for repairs. Which is why I keep mentioning that a new set may be cheaper in the long run.

Nathan :

It may have cost that much when new. A 40" today would cost you 400-500.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : £1200
Nathan :

The typical lifespan of these flat screen tvs is usually 3-5 years before a part like this fails, and about 5-8 maximum before the lcd panel fails. As prices continue to come down so much year after year though, they're often a toss up between repair/replace cost.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Behave do you live in England
Nathan :

No, I am in the US,

Nathan :

but the costs are relatively the same

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : TV engineers must be well rich in USA then
JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : An hours work
Nathan :

that is a 42" tv for under $500

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Hd plum
Nathan :

TV repair shops have a lot of overhead, a service call includes travel time, diagnostic time, testing equipment, parts cost, etc

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Behave
Nathan :

Out of the repair costs I mentioned, half that is the cost of the part.

Nathan :

I'm sorry, I don't understand "behave"?

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Ok£150 an hours work yer
Nathan :

I am not trying to sway you in any particular direction. I am simply trying to give you information on all the possible options, so that you can make an informed decision.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : I'd do tent vs a day I'm changeling carrier
Nathan :

And it is often much more than an hours work. There are many parts in these tvs that fail, with long and complicated testing processes for each. In many cases an engineer has to purchase multiple parts for the tv just to isolate the bad one, and they can only in the end charge you for the part they actually replaced.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Behave means don't be that stupid
Nathan :

I'm sorry if you feel I'm stupid, but you've come here for an expert opinion, which I've given. You can certainly call some local shops in your area and ask for a repair quote, as well as look at replacement models to help make your decision. In the end though, this still is coming down to an internal hardware defect which will require repairs, based on the information you've provided.

Nathan :

I'm sorry I can't give you a faster, simpler, or lower cost fix, it just isn't possible in cases of hardware faults like this.

Nathan :

I see you've again rated me with bad service.

Nathan :

That accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than to harm my reputation.

Nathan :

I'm not sure what answer would satisfy you here.

Nathan :

But it is rather unfair that you would engage my time and services for the past 40 minutes, at my own personal expense, and then leave me with a negative rating at the end of it all

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : That answer has cost me £26 you are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot
Nathan :

For the record, I've been paid absolutely nothing at all.

Nathan :

All of my time with you here has been out of my own unpaid time. I am an independent tech.

Nathan :

I responded to your question, and provided you honest and accurate information. Again I'm sorry it isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but that doesn't make it incorrect.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Well can you move on someone else will give me maybe more help
Nathan :

I would hope you'd reconsider your rating of me, so that I may be paid for my time that I put forth in good faith to answer your question, especially as you've continued to engage me in conversation.

Nathan :

I told you I can help you fix the tv,

Nathan :

but you've given no indication that you have the necessary tools, skills, or experience to do so on your own.

Nathan :

If you want help with determining the exact problem and finding the parts, I've offered multiple times to do that. No one else can do anything more.

Nathan :

Your options are the same, with me or anyone else: fix it yourself with some guidance, have an engineer on site, or replace the tv.

JACUSTOMER-6u7vext7- : Replace it is not a option can I move on to someone one else please
Nathan :

Sure thing. I'll "opt out" of the question, and open it up to other experts to answer. It may be some time before you get a response, if at all. They'll be able to see the content of our interaction up to this point.

Nathan :

Good luck to you.

Nathan :

Please omit rating entirely in this case, it will only slow the process down of getting you any further help.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Shahid, a different expert and I'll be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem if you still need assistance.

- Can you get me the complete model number written on back of TV?
- Also, how old it is and how long it have had the problem.