Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Samsung series 4 wide LCD TV 26 inch , approx 5 yrs old very

Samsung series 4 wide LCD TV 26 inch , approx 5 yrs old very poor picture quality , every thing is to dark , tried adjusting brightness etc but does not seem to make any difference .
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Can you tell me a bit more please:
1) full model number of the tv?
2) Does this happen with all sources? (cable/satellite, dvd, game, etc)
3) Are you able to bring up the on screen tv menu at all, is it also affected?

Customer: Le26a457c1d . Only got normal (no sat ) , on screen menu is ok White is white
Nathan :

Is there any way you can test something else? (like a dvd)

Nathan :

that would go a long way toward helping us to isolate the problem further.

Nathan :

Also when you say "normal", do you mean you use basic cable (straight from wall jack to the tv), or aerial?

Customer: Straight from wall jack , tried another TV in same wall jack and picture is good .
Nathan :

Okay, that helps confirm anyway then, as you are using the tvs internal tuner.
Since the problem happens with an internal source like this, it confirms that it is a hardware related problem.

Nathan :

The one and only thing you can attempt is going into the tvs settings menu, and look for a factory reset (restore factory defaults) option.

Nathan :

If that doesn't help, then we are either looking at failing backlighting lamps or inverter circuits,

Nathan :

or the lcd panel itself is failing.

Nathan :

For a tv this size and age, both would be a "fatal" defect, meaning they aren't worth fixing. It would cost more in parts and labor ($300 on average) to fix than it would to replace ($150-200 on average) with a brand new one, with current technology (LED based backlighting) and a fresh warranty.

Nathan :

Depending how you'd like to proceed here though, I can try to help with finding parts to repair yourself, find a local repair shop, or recommend replacement options.

Customer: No factory setting , so no easy / cheap repaire .
Nathan :

No, there is no simple fix here I'm sorry to say. It is most likely the backlighting, and the lamps are not easily replaced. If it is the panel, that cannot even be fixed.

Customer: Just not enuf brightness in picture , shame good TV otherwise .
Nathan :

Here is an example of a replacement model, that would cost less than repairs, and upgrade you to a bit larger size and better picture quality (LED lit)

Nathan :

This is actually pretty typical, these flat screen tvs tend to last about 3-5 years before one of the electronic components inside starts to fail,

Nathan :

and as costs continue to drop every year, they usually end up being cheaper to replace than fix, at least in the under 50" sizes.

Nathan :

With a LED based set like I linked to above, as opposed to the fluorescent type in your existing tv, that type of backlighting failure is extremely rare though. LED lighting lasts much longer

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. Note that this step is required; as it is the only way I get credit for my time (from your existing deposit, no extra charge). I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan

Customer: Thank you
Nathan :

You're welcome, and sorry again to be the bearer of bad news here.