Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

lg aquos 32: how to cancel the option for audio only? Both

Customer Question

lg aquos 32: how to cancel the option for audio only? 'Both picture and audio' box says OFF and doesn't change when I press the up/down buttons
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the complete model number written on back of TV?
- Is the TV hooked to an Ariel for local broadcasting or any satellite/cable box there for channel signals?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model number is *****

The TV is connected to aerial via digital DVD/VCR combi. TV is also connnected to Virgin media cable box.

thanks

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info.
Do you have sound problem with Ariel and Virgin Media cable service or can you give me bit details of what option you want to cancel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you press Menu on the remote, one of the settings that appear is Option. The TV manual says this option is either for listening to music without a picture. Somehow this option has been switched on but no audio either and the manual doesn't explain how to switch it off to get picture and audio back. I've checked all the connections at the back of the TV and all ok.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
OK, have you tried to press Menu button on TV remote control?
If menu doesn't appear, press Input button on TV to change the input mode that should bring the light in screen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't understand you're question. My original question makes clear that I've already accessed the Menu. I need to know how to cancel the Option for Audio Only when the 'Both picture and audio' box says OFF and doesn't change when I press the up/down buttons.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
ah sorry for misunderstanding the issue, please press Menu and go to Picture option then select Reset, does it help to get the normal screen back on TV?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've done the reset but still just a blank screen.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
This is odd, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug and check?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will do. Will you still be there in 10+ minutes?

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Yes, please take your time, I'm waiting the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for waiting. It's bad news - still no picture or audio.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to hear that, it seems we have bit serious issue in hands.
Next option is to access to Service Menu of TV to preform Factory Initialize to restore default settings in TV that should straighten the things in TV.
There is one thing that you need to take care, not to change any data except the one I will mention, in service mode or the TV might get dead.
If you understand the risk and agree to proceed with, please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand the risk. Let's proceed.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
OK, please give me 20 minutes to pull the related manuals, is it OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - my turn to wait.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Thanks -:)
Here we go..
- Unplug the AC power cord of TV set to force power off.
- While holding down the “VOL –” and “INPUT” keys on the set at once, plug in the AC power cord to turn on the set. The letter K appears on the screen.
- Next, hold down the “VOL —” and “P down” keys on the set at once. Multiple lines of orange characters appearing on the screen indicate that the set is now in the adjustment process mode. If you fail to enter the adjustment process mode (the display is the same as normal start up), retry the procedure.
Please reply back once you get the service menu screen on TV to proceed further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh dear. I've done it several times but no letter K or orange characters or any other response. Just the same blank screen.

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
Above is first step to activate the service mode and it should work.
This TV is really surprising me. Please try one more time and letter K should appear on screen.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still nothing. Sigh...

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry for that, it seems we are looking now at defective main board in TV as its firmware (internal software) has been corrupted for some reason and no option is left to fix it, need to swap the main board in TV, sorry for this news.
It would be your choice to spend money on main board replacement of 8 years old TV or invest that amount on new replacement TV.
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face under the answer then click submit button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Shahid. Picture and audio came back the following evening when I switched on the TV but...

...what's been happening since then is that the TV starts to scroll through the input AV channels every 60 secs. This means that I have to use the remote to restore the TV channel.

Do you know what I can do to stop the slipping off channel?

thanks

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.

Did you replace the main board in TV or the TV start working on its own?
Also, what video devices are connected to the TV for TV channels?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The TV started working on its own.

Devices connected are:

DVD player

VCR player

Freeview box

Main feature

Finding Vivian Maier (12A)

Who was Vivian Maier? Now considered one of the greatest ever street photographers, Maier was an eccentric and private woman who worked as a nanny in Chicago while taking over 100,000 photographs that stayed hidden in storage lockers until recently. A haunting mystery which gradually unfolds into a portrait of the artist's mind.

Watch the trailer

Until Thursday 31st July

Book Now

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
This is amazing, we tried almost every thing to get it On few days back but it didn't work.
Now it changing Inputs on its own, is this correct or I'm missing any thing?
If so, have you checked the input button on TV itself that might get sticky and causing the input change command?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for trying, Shahid but it's now been replaced with a new TV.

Goodbye

Expert:  Shahid replied 3 years ago.
OK, thats fine, have nice time!

Shahid.