Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have built a property in Greece and have recently exported

I have built a property in Greece and have recently exported from the Uk to Greece a 32 inch panasonic LCD tv.
Unfortunately I can only get picture transmission and sound is just a continuos crackling sound.
The aerial installer indicates that the TV I purchased will not work in Greece and I should have bought a set locally.
Another shop in Greece indicates that I need a set top box to decode the signal.
What is your opinion as I am beginning to think I have wasted nearly £500 on a UK set.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks,
Mark Alderton
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

This is going to be a tuner incompatibility issue.

Nathan :

Your tv should be fine to continue using, but for use with an aerial you'll need to purchase a set top box (digital tv tuner / converter box) locally. Preferably an HD model that will connect up to the tv via hdmi.

Nathan :

If you want to be sure before buying more equipment, I'd suggest testing another source with the tv directly, such as a dvd player, video game system, media (neflix, etc) player, or something along those lines.

Nathan :

If sound works fine through another input/source device, it would confirm that the tv speakers and audio functions are okay, and that this is just a signal/decoding issue with teh internal tuner.

Customer:

What would I ask for . Is this something I could take from the Uk or does it have to be purchased locally. How is the set top box fitted and would I buy this from a tv store or an aerial installer?

Nathan :

The aerial installer could probably recommend a model for you,

Nathan :

knowing the local broadcast system better than most people would. If he can't sell it to you I'm sure he can recommend a store locally that can.

Nathan :

I would suggest getting one locally, rather than UK. What is sold in the uk is going to be specific to the uk broadcast system

Customer:

I have successful connection of the tv to my video player and free satelite is also ok so it appears nothing is wrong with the speakers of the tv. I assume this box is connected to the terrestial aerial in some way ?

Nathan :

Correct, box will connect to the aerial via a coax cable, just like the tv currently does,

Nathan :

box can then connect to tv via coax, composite video (red/white/yellow), hdmi, etc (depending on the model of the box). I suggest one that has hdmi though, for best quality.

Customer:

Ok I will try this but the aerial man did not offer me such an item so I will have to try another supplier. I will rate you ok for the moment as I will not know if the advice works until I return to Greece.

Nathan :

That is perfectly fine.

Nathan :

It wouldn't hurt to call the aerial man though, and ask if he knows the best source for one locally.

Customer:

Just one other thing. I understand that some programmes in Greece are now digital but Auto search on my panasonic is not picking these up . I assume this situation will not be helped by a desk top box which is only really for analogue signals or am I incorrect?

Nathan :

No the set top box should be able to tune in both digital and analog

Nathan :

your tv is most likely digital only

Customer:

I assume when the box is set up I run both analog and digital auto searches?

Nathan :

I would

Nathan :

you really aren't likely to get anything analog anyway though, as most everything has transitioned to digital broadcasts only

Nathan :

about the only thing remaining on analog is some small local public access type stations

Customer:

Not in Greece I am afraid!! How do I recall your answer if I need to refer . Many thanks

Nathan :

You can bookmark/favorite this page

Nathan :

or after the rating, our live chat converts to a regular web page, which you can save, print, email, etc

Customer:

ok thank you