info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Toshiba TV left on standby overnight, now I do not receive

Toshiba TV left on standby overnight, now I do not receive channels, can still watch dvd's but nothing in DTV mode. In fact DTV is grey on the menu as if unavailable?
This happened to a now estranged friend a few years ago so would appear is a common fault?
P.B
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Could you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

LCD COLOUR TV.

MODEL NO. 37C3030DB

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How do you receive your DTV programming on the set- is it through a converter box of some sort, or direct aerial from the wall to the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Toshiba LCD Colour TV REGZA
37C3030DB
Was left on on standby overnight (unusually), and in the morning refused to provide any sound or picture. Can still operate DVD Player through it.
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
My name is Anthony
Yes this is a common issue with this set and its caused by bad firmware, unfortunately their is nothing you can do yourself without obtaining the cam that needs to be put in the cam service port at the back of the set containing the new firmware, please contact toshiba support at the UK website they may send you the cam, if they wont do that a toshiba service agent will charge around £40 to upgrade the firmware for you you will need to take the set to one though.
Let me know if you need more info on this
A positive rating is appreciated thank you
Thanks again
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Anthony

Could you explain in layman's term what firmware is so that I sound knowledgeable when being fobbed off by someone who would rather sell me a new tv?

Paul

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello Paul
The firmware is data that controls the hardware (components like microprocessors)...just about every electronic product you have computers\cellphones\ipads\tv\even in the car has software\firmware that runs the product.
In your case the firmware string that controls the DTV section of the set has gone corrupt the result is that the DTV wont function...no access or if their is access its unstable.
You will see a cam input slot (looks rather big)the card with the new firmware goes into that slot, now I have heard toshiba have sent the cam out to customers so it will be worth ringing them to find out if they will send it, go to the toshiba uk website and look up how to contact
If that cant be done then only a approved toshiba service agent can carry out the work
Let me know if you need more info
Please remember to rate the answer positively this is the only way I receive credit from the site thank you
Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience