Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have another TV. This time it is Hitachi model 32LD8D20UC.The

I have another TV. This time it is Hitachi model 32LD8D20UC.The Tv turns on but no picture.When I connected a DVD player with it the sound is perfect bu no vision. There is no backlight either. i have replaced the Power Board and Av Board. I have also replaced the Freeview Board But no differerence. What could be the problem now?
Sunday Ayeni
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry to hear you're having problems. Have you tried shining a flashlight directly against the screen and looking very very closely? If so, can you barely see a shadowy image of the program?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi aric!

Yes. Nothing.no shadow image at all.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. If there's no backlight at all, this would point to the Inverter board. However offhand I'm not able to see if this set uses a separate Inverter board, or if it's built into the power supply. Can you verify if there is or is not an inverter in the set?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi aric!

With this TV I could only see two identical Boards at the left and right sides where normally the inverter board should be.Could these be an inverter board?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. Yes those would definitely be the inverters. This problem in your set is either caused by the Inverters, the T-Con or a faulty LCD panel itself. Now what board did you replace when you referred to the "Freeview Board"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi aric!

In Uk this is called satalite decoder or Freeview Board. How will I test The LCD panel?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you. You cannot test the LCD panel by itself. The only way to test the panel, is to put it in a known working TV. Right now, we don't know if the Inverters are working, but the panel's lighting is gone, or if the T-con is working, etc.
Since there's no backlight, this would indicate the inverters are bad, but if that were the case, then you'd be able to see a shadowy image behind the screen when you shine a flashlight on it. So this would point to the Inverters and the T-con being bad, but multiple failures are very very rare.
Given this, this all points to a faulty LCD panel.
So can you please carefully check and confirm with certainty that there is no backlight?
Also, with a torch to make sure there is not a slight shadowy image? This may be very hard to see and you might have to view for a few minutes to see anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Aric!

I think if you put the TV face down you would see the back lights but in this case I could not see any back lights. Can the two boards by the sides go bad at the same time?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
It's very very rare for two boards to go bad at the same time. If you shut the lights off completely in the room, then turn the TV off, and on you should notice a difference in the screen when it's on. Are you able to check this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have checked it. No shadow at all. Same dark screen all the time.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, were you able to test in a dark room and see if there's any change to the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes in fact I turned off the lights when conducting this investigation. Have come across this problem in your data base?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Yes we have, and it's either caused by bad inverter or a failed LCD panel. The only way to know is to replace the inverters, and if the screen still doesn't show a well lit image, then the LCD panel has failed, and the TV would unfortunately in that case be non-repairable.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company