Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

LG 42PC55 TV. PICTURE FLASHING ON AND OFF INTERMITTENT.PLEASE

LG 42PC55 TV. PICTURE FLASHING ON AND OFF INTERMITTENT.PLEASE HELP
SPARKY
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your TV.
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the screen?
Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 we have had the set about 5 years, and the problem started about 2 months ago with the odd flicker of the picture.it has gradually got worse especiaiiy with sport and even more on football.

2 There is a Amstrad Sky HD set top box connected, along with a Toshiba DVD Recorder they are both connected through the HDMI connections, I have changed both cables for brand new ones with no effect, it doesn't appear to matter whether I am watching the Sky box, the DVD player or the built in Freeview on the tv, the picture still flickers.

3 If the Menu button is pressed both the menu and picture flicker together and sometimes the flicking gets worse.

hope this helps

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Steve. Unfortunately when the issue occurs with any connected device, and also with the internal MENU (the MENU supersedes all external connections, and settings), this indicates a component failing within the TV that is causing the set to oscillate (flicker). Since this is a Plasma, there's several common failures to look for that will cause the flickering- and there's no quick fixes for it. This problem always gets worse and worse until it finally goes out altogether.
This problem can happen due to several things, and to determine which, a Technician would need to first inspect the Power Supply Board for signs of faulty Capacitors, as well as measure the voltages coming from the Power Supply.
The Power Supply is one of the most common causes of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $250 to have repaired.
The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for producing the image on the Plasma display and are the HARDEST working boards in the set. They also incur the greatest amount of heat which can cause failures such as the one you are having. common failures for this type of TV. Average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor.
If these boards check good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.
I know this is not the answer you'd hoped for and I wish there were better news.
If you have a Meter and the ability to measure live voltages, then I can guide you to fixing this yourself.
If you need further assistance, then please press "Reply to Expert". Otherwise, please take a moment to RATE my service as Positive.