Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have an expensive new Panasonic 4k TV, TX - NR 5008. The

We have an expensive new Panasonic 4k TV, TX - NR 5008. The recording process seems very fiddly and old fashioned. How can we easily record and can we series link in any way with this TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Can you tell me the model of the tv please?

Nathan :

What you sent is the model of an onkyo receiver. The tv would be something like TC-L65WT600

Customer: Oops sorry - it's a TX-58AX802B
Nathan :

Thanks for the info,

Nathan :

just a moment please

Nathan :

It looks like the process you're using is pretty much it so far,

Nathan :

the recording function of this tv was a bit of an afterthought, as most people don't use these sets just with an aerial, which is the primary recording source. Most users would have a cable/satellite box with a built in dvr function, so they put very little into the recording design

Nathan :

you can do the manual recordings,

Nathan :

the only real alternative is if you have a guide function that will come up, dependant on guide data being broadcast in your area, you can highlight a selection within the guide and press record on it

Nathan :

This is something that could be potentially addressed in a future firmware update

Nathan :

but because this is a relatively new model, I wouldn't expect anything for some time

Customer: Oh dear. That's such rubbish. We got rid of our good humax box as we thought the TV had all the freesat etc and so we didn't need the humax box. Do we need to buy another external recording device like a humax box?
Nathan :

Yes, that is it exactly,

Nathan :

your humax box, or a similar digital tuner device

Nathan :

either a standalone tuner with the capability of connecting an external drive

Nathan :

or an all in one dvr system with a built in drive,

Nathan :

either would suit the purpose

Nathan :

The negative there though is that it wouldn't be 4k

Nathan :

really though, it is unlikely that you have any 4k broadcasts anyway

Customer: Yeah, 4 k is a future thing really. Ok, will research external tuners. Will see if I can find someone at Panasonic to pass on disappointment.
Nathan :

It won't help for now, but if/when enough people complain, they will hopefully address the lacking features in a future update

Nathan :

I'm sorry I can't offer a more optimistic solution at this point.

Nathan :

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/expert-p0llinate/

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan