Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have had a Sanyo TV model CE32LDY1-B in use for over 7 years.

I have had a Sanyo TV model CE32LDY1-B in use for over 7 years. About 2 years ago we noticed sometimes the picture had frozen though the sound continued. When this happened the TV did not respond to any button on the hand controller nor those on the top edge of the cabinet. I assumed the internal software had 'crashed' and found I could make it re-boot by cutting of the power for a few seconds. I fitted a switch in the mains cable near the cabinet to save crawling about on the floor to the mains socket!
There seem to have been no software updates for this otherwise excellent TV.
Can you suggest a fix?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.
What is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
If you press MENU on the TV itself (not the remote) when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the screen?
Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Q 1. Input is Freeview via antenna.

Q2. Device connected via SCART is a hard disc recorder. The problem occurs whether or not this is connected. So the answer to your question is 'Yes'. The antenna is 'looped through' the recorder the to the TV.

Q3. There is no Menu button on the TV, but the ON/Off, Volume and Channel buttons on the TV do not work when the 'Freeze' has occurred.

Sorry for the delay in answering; I usually look at email only once or twice a day on a desktop PC.

Brian.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
The issue you're having is due to a faulty EEPROM chip on the Mainboard of the TV. This component processes all pushbutton commands, Input swithing, channel selection and volume. This is a hardware failure and not a software fix unfortunately. In order to fix the TV you would need to swap the Mainboard out (which is going to be tough to locate on a 7 year old TV- and is a common issue once these sets get on in years).
However I was able to locate one used on Ebay.UK at the link below for purchase:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MAIN-BOARD-SANYO-CE32LDY1-B32-LCD-TV-1AA4B10N18700-PWB-MAIN-N3KM-/230838452276?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item35bf0b4034
If you're not comfortable with this type of repair, then a shop will typically charge around $200 parts and labor (which is usually not cost effective as the set can be replaced for not much more than the cost of repairs).
I'm sorry there's not a quick fix and wish there were better news.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back. Best regards, Aric