Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

HI, I KEEP KEEP GETTING ALL DIFFERENT COLOURS ON MY SCRREEN

Customer Question

HI, I KEEP KEEP GETTING ALL DIFFERENT COLOURS ON MY SCRREEN MODEL 37lc55-zx
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry to hear you're having problems.
Can you please answer the following Info Request so that I can determine what's happened?
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur? Was it during programming of a universal remote by chance?
2) Is the screen cycling through colors almost like a test pattern?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,i have had the tv about three four years i think,i have never used a universal remote.the colours are sort of like a out line around people and objects on the tv programmes, i have sky and thought it might be that but i tried my portable tv in the same skark lead and it was fine.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Okay, this is a different issue than what I thought originally.

Now, can you please grab the original Sylvania remote, and press MENU?

I want to know if the TV's own MENU image (which supersedes your external connections), also shows an outline like the programming does.

Also, do you have another external device, such as a DVD player you can TEST on the TV to see if it also displays the outline around images?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help im now at my sons house till tomorrow so as soon as i get back i will do this is this ok

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, and I'm certain we can at least determine what the cause of the problem is. When you are at the set, please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi,I have checked the tv with the remote no change at all and alsi when watching a dvd it still happens but not as bad .is this information ok .

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. What I really need to know, is this:
Press MENU on the TV remote. Does the "MENU image itself" show up with the same outline that programming does?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No its normal and iforgot to mention if I turn the tv for a short time the colours usually disapear but do come back very quick.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. If the colors on the MENU are normal, but when you view and external source (DVD, SKY, SAT, etc.), the color outline is there, this is a video noise issue occurring in the Mainboard of the TV. If there is a common "hub" (such as a video switcher, home theater receiver, or other device), that the DVD and SKY box run through prior to the TV, then this would be the most likely fault. However if the devices run directly to the TV (no HUB), then this would be a TV problem that would require replacement of the Mainboard to fix the issue.
The colors disappearing and reappearing after a short period of time, are what's known as a heat related fault (meaning it is not present when the electronics are cold), and to correct it would require testing of the power board's 5 volt output to the Mainboard to ensure it's not dropping due to a capacitor, or other failing component, or the Mainboard itself needs to be replaced.
Average cost for this type of repair is unfortunately going to be in the $200-$250 range to both test and replace the Power Board or mainboard respectively.
I'm sorry for the bad news, and wish there were a quick fix, but this is a component failure I'm afraid.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to click the SMILEY so that I am credited.
You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for ur advice

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back. Best regards, Aric