Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hi I have an lg 50pz550t TV. It has a problem, it switches

Hi I have an lg 50pz550t TV. It has a problem, it switches it's self off at random times might stay on for 8 hrs or 5 mins. It varies normaly a longer period of time when not been used. When it's goes off if you try to switch on again it comes back on then goes off again. Then you have to leave it. Have you any idea. Many thanks Chris.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. In order to determine what is causing the problem I will need to request more information.
1) How long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur (after a storm, or power outage, etc.)?
2) When the set shuts down does the power light on the set begin to blink at all, or does it simply turn red?
3) What is your experience regarding electronic repairs, and are you looking to try and fix this set yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my reply?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No nothing is posted besides you asking if I got your reply. Please resend.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Iv owned the set for about 4 years. The problem just started one day, it had been on all day then in the evening I sat down to watch it and not long in to a film it went off. Not sure if there was a power cut or storm the night before. When the TV goes off you just get a solid red light. No other faults with the set. I have quite a good knowledge of electronics and depending on the fault and cost wether I repair or not.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up. There are several things that could cause this- the Power Supply (most common), Mainboard, or Sustain Boards have an intermittent fault that is putting the TV into protect mode and shutting it down.
What we would need to do on a DIY level, is to first inspect all power supply capacitors, and make sure none are bulged or leaking. Any that are would need to be replaced (and are a likely cause of this problem).
If the capacitors look good, then we'd next use a digital volt-meter and test ALL of the voltages coming from the supply, to ensure Vs is around 190 volts DC, and that Va is around 90. Any voltages that are below spec, or any shorts on the power supply indicate the power board needs to be replaced.
A shop would typically charge between $250-$300 for that type of repair.
If the supply caps and voltages look good, then we'd need to check the Sustain board heat sinks, to make sure that ALL are warm, and none are screaming hot or ice cold. Additionally, removing the Sustain Board connectors, and testing for shorts to ground with a meter confirm if the Sustain boards are bad. In the even that they are, then we'd replace both Sustain boards (there is one on each side of the Plasma panel).
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to click the SMILEY so that I am credited.
You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company