Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hello I bought my Samsung Smart TV in the UK (model 6100)

I bought my Samsung Smart TV in the UK (model 6100) but I now leave abroad so I can't use the Freeview TV feature. I tried to use a Samsung formatted USB Memory stick but failed to record on it.
I would like to record live programmes to an external DVR or PVR device.
Can you recommend one?
Also, where can I get a detailed instructions for the above?
Many thanks for your help,
Orna Kustow
*****@******.***
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi Orna,

Nathan :

the tv will not be able to output video to an external recorder directly, and the internal freeview tuner won't work outside the UK,

Nathan :

so what you'll need is an external dvr device that has a built in tuner, which is compatible with the broadcast signals in your area.

Nathan :

These can be difficult to find online, so your best bet is to locate one for sale at a local electronics shop, so you can be assured that it would be compatible with the local television broadcast signals in your area.

Nathan :

Once you have a tuner/dvr box, it would connect simply to samsung via a standard hdmi or component/composite video cable

Nathan :

all recording, scheduling, and playback functions would take place using the dvr remote, they are not a function of the tv or samsung remote

Customer:

Thank you, Nathan. That was very helpful. In the UK I used an old Panasonic recoding device (DMR-EX769) which was connected to my Sky+ box by scart. Following your advice, I'm looking now for an HDMI in/out DVR/tuner box.

Customer:

I can buy it here, of course, but I would greatly appreciate a recommendation.

Customer:

Can you help?

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello Nathan,

I'm referring the last para of your answer: "All recording, scheduling, and playback functions would take place using the dvr remote, they are not a function of the tv or samsung remote":

If I'm connected by VPN to another country's TV, can I record the live screening to the DVR using its AV channels?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hi Orna,

I am honestly not familiar with the broadcast requirements for Israel, so I can't give you a specific product recommendations for an exact model. I can give you some general suggestions though to look for a Panasonic, Toshiba, or Humax branded product if possible.

Regarding a vpn connection, I don't see how that would do anything for you. It could help you to get specific "apps" (like BBC channels perhaps) that would be available in UK but not authorized in Israel. But the tv still isn't going to have any video output that an external recorder could pick up.

Now the tv may allow you to record some local broadcasts, brought in via the built in tuner, to a usb, but again that is only going to work where the tuner is compatible (uk) and a vpn isn't going to affect that.

You could try to find a local samsung authorized repair facility in your area, and ask if they would be able to flash a region specific firmware to this tv (if compatible), which may possibly open up the tuner to being more function in Israel, though it is a long shot, and would probably cost you more than you'd spend on a tuner anyway.

Have you considered a FTA satellite tuner (if you have a way to mount a dish)? That can bring in a lot of free or very low cost stations, including many from around the world including the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please stop asking me to rate you. I've answered 6 times at least.