Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

When TV is first switched on, you cant change anything and

When TV is first switched on, you can't change anything and then the screen freezes and 'DTV no signal' appears. The picture resumes and after a while there is a longer gap between 'freezes'. My other TV isn't affected so is there an answer to my problem please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We’ll get started chatting here.

If you’d prefer support beyond the chat format, you may also reach me directly via phone or a remote support session. I’ll send an additional services offer for these options - feel free to ignore it for now, it will be available to you at any time during or after our conversation.

Nathan :

Could you give me some more detail please?

Nathan :

Make/model of the tv?

Nathan :

What source devices you use (aerial, cable/satellite box, dvd, game system, etc), as well as how each is connected to the tv?

Customer: The TV is a Marks & Spencer LED TV with DVD Player connected to an aerial.
Nathan :

Do you have any issues when watching a dvd?

Nathan :

When the screen freezes, does sound continue at all?

When the system cuts out like this, does it seem to happen equally on all channels?

Customer: Model No (per back of TV)LE-22A31/T0410409/1817I haven't tried the DVD recently. I haven't noticed what happens to the sound so presume it doesn't continue. Yes it happens on other channels
Nathan :

Okay, well there are a few possible issues here,

Nathan :

you could have a bad aerial or a loose connection,

Nathan :

but the freezing is typically indicative of an internal hardware problem,

Nathan :

meaning that the tvs internal tuner (or main board) may be failing.

Nathan :

How long have you had this tv?

Customer: about 3 years I think.
Nathan :

Okay, this is a lower quality "3rd tier" brand, so this type of failure, if that is the case, is not surprising

Nathan :

there are a few things we can try here though,

Nathan :

first go into the setup menu

Nathan :

and look for a software update function, and let that run if there is anything available

Nathan :

failing that, retune the tv (auto scan / auto program)

Nathan :

if still no change, and if the other tv is working off the same aerial, the it would unfortunately tend to confirm a hardware fault. That is something which would require repairs to correct, which simply wouldn't be prudent - you'd spend more to fix it than to buy a new tv. An alternative would be to hook up an external tuner box instead (goodmans, humax, digihome, etc), which would usually be in the £25 range.

Nathan :

If we get to that stage, I can recommend an external box, or a replacement tv for you, whichever you'd prefer.

Customer: The other TV runs off a different aerial point - I live in a retirement village with main aerials. I will try the set up menu and go from there. Do you want to know if I can sort it - anyway thanks for giving me some alternatives.
Nathan :

If you have a moment, yes I'd appreciate an update, but don't feel badly if you don't have the time to return.

Nathan :

You could try swapping this tv with the other though, just in case this aerial point is the issue, it wouldn't hurt to check before investing more into it

Customer: I will certainly try swapping but will have to wait until my grandson is here tomorrow