Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung tv picture keeps going black after say 1 minute

Customer Question

My Samsung tv picture keeps going black after say 1 minute of 5 minutes, The model is LE40R73BD. I still have sound. I receive virgin media but the incoming signal strength is good.
Is my tv broken
kind regards
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your TV. In order for me to determine what's causing this, I'll need you to reply back to the Info Request in full please.
1) How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?
2) Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which Device you're watching?
3) If you press MENU on the TV when the problem is occurring, does the MENU display normally on the screen?
Please reply back and we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had the set for approximately 2 years

#I have the same problem occurring regardless of the device attached. I have tested a dvd and the same problem occurred but the picture returnd after I turn the tv off then on again

The menu does not display when the screen goes black

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. This does help narrow things down to the TV itself actually being the cause of the problem. Please try this, once the screen goes black please shine a torch directly at the screen at a 45 degree angle and look very closely. Can you barely make out a shadowy image of the program being played?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I used a weak torch but no sha2dowy figure can be seen

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, and unfortunately this is a fault within the TV that requires service. Specifically the backlight/ power inverter board in the set is encountering an intermittent fault, which is due to a component failing on that board. This is more common with Samsung sets than we'd care to see, but it is an issue they've had on many sets throughout the years. The solution to fix the problem with the TV would be to have the power board serviced/replaced once a tech has measured the voltages coming off that board to determine what is occurring specifically when the screen goes black. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200-$250 range. I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You confirmed what I thought thank you very much.

I will rate you as excellent

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you and sorry for the bad news.