Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

my logic 91"l19dvdb10 picture freezes, it does not respond

my logic 91"l19dvdb10 picture freezes, it does not respond to the remote, it switches off often with a green band briefly appearing just above the middle of the screen before going black. It will then come back on and freeze again. I have retuned both auto and manually to no avail. With perseverance it will settle down but can freeze when looking up the epg.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. In order to determine what is causing the issue with your set, I will need to ask you for some more information.
1) How long have you owned the TV for and when did the problem occur? Was it after a storm or power outage?
2) When you say "it switches off", do you simply lose picture and sound, or does the set physically shut itself off?
3) If it shuts itself off, is there any blinking of the power light that occurs?
4) When the green band appear on the screen, if you press MENU on the TV remote (not a universal or SAT remote), will the TV's internal MENU appear normally?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, I got the tv in jan 2011 & it started a few months ago for no good reason. first the picture freezes and there is no sound however the blue on indicator light remains constant even when the screen goes black. The green band only flashes for an instant as it goes from picture to black. It will then retune. It has done this 12 times with bbc 1 tonight while I was looking for my receipt. I changed to bbc 2 and it is the same. If I bring up the epg menu & change channel it freezes & retunes to the previous channel & not the one selected. It freezes a bit on stv but not nearly as bad as bbc

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, are you using any other devices on the TV (such as a SAT or Freeview box, etc.)? Or is the only connection to the TV the aerial?
I'm simply trying to determine if there are any outside possible causes of this problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No there are no devices has built in freeview but I have never been able to get film 4 reception.Re. the epg when you change channel & it wont do it Ihave to switch tv off completely & start again. I did get a new ariel when we went digital & I read about colour coded ariels in my search for an answer but I would need to pay someone to go out on the roof to look. Blackhill transmitter 16 miles,Cathcart 1 mile.Manual tuning I get channels 41,44,46&47

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. Offhand, if the TV is physically shutting itself off, this would indicates a fault within the TV- not something that a new aerial could correct. I just noticed that you did not reply back to the specific portion of the Info Request below:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I lose sound then it makes a cracking sort of sound sometimes with the green flash before the screen goes black, so I would say it physically shuts itself off. The red power light changes to blue when selecting a channel and as I said remains constant and therefore does not flicker.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, the most important thing to note here, is when the screen goes black, if you press MENU on the remote, will the MENU ALWAYS display on screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just away to try that & yes the menu came up,that works then the sound went,it froze again. Good old bbc 1.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Okay, there are only two possible things that could cause this problem. Either the Mainboard in the TV (most likely fault), which processes the channel tuning, and also external inputs signals to the set. Mainboards contain an EEPROM (processor), that can lockup. To correct this issue requires service to the set in the way of replacing the Mainboard.
The other possible cause, is the aerial connection itself. A bad/intermittent aerial and/or the RF connections on this cable typically don't present themselves in the manner you've described. However it would be worthwhile having the aerial checked, tested and serviced accordingly. Even though it's not as "likely" as the Mainboard, it is a much more cost effective thing to have corrected- as the Mainboard replacement will cost nearly as much as the set cost when new.
So, in closing I would suggest having the aerial checked and tested, then in the case that all is okay with the aerial, either a replacement TV, or repair to this TV would be in order.
I'm sorry there's not a quick fix for this one, and I wish there were better news.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING so that I am credited.
You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes,the logical conclusion is that it is the mainboard.No great surprise there then.Och well,it was only £149.50 & as I approach 70,I don't think I.m going to take up diy electronics anytime soon! Far too busy& I'll be looking for a new tv. Thank you for your advice.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome and sorry there's not a quick fix. Another solution would be to purchase an external tuner box and place between the aerial connection and the TV's "AV" Input jacks- essentially bypassing the TV's tuner.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back. Best regards, Aric
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no further questions. I bought a new tv.