info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a HDR5010KB digital TV recorder that appears to have

I have a HDR5010KB digital TV recorder that appears to have lost its red colour. Anything I can do to get it back?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
info tech :

info tech :

Is it just the recorder thats lost its red colour?

Customer:

Yes. The TV is fine. I've tried changing from the SCART to the HDMI but it makes no difference.

info tech :

Hi that is unusual, so its the same with both inputs are you sure its the red thats dropped out?have you tried rebooting the unit?that means disconnecting it from the wall power waiting 5 mins then repluggging back in again?

Customer:

Yes, the same with both inputs. I have just re connected it having tried one of my old PVRs, and the problem is still there. on the programme the TV was tuned to the presenter was wearing a red blouse, but on the box it was brown. something I should have mentioned is that the sound is quite distorted.

info tech :

info tech :

Is this a completely independant unit from the cable \satellite box?

Customer:

There is no cable/satellite box, we are on terrestrial aerial. I have tried playing a recording from last December, recorded before the problem, and the same red deficiency occurs.

info tech :

OK if you look at the DVD channels so your looking at channels as they are being broadcast THROUGH the DVD are those channels without red?

info tech :

Sorry for delays here I am usually available most of the time you have just caught me on a day when I am not should be here now for few hours

Customer:

If I watch live TV through the box the picture is without red. If I watch a recorded programme, recorded before or after the fault, the picture is without red. I do not have a stand alone DVD player connected to the TV. The colours on live TV on the TV are perfect, with red.

info tech :

info tech :

Sorry I know whats happening now on this combi unit its a hard drive (I was thinking it was a DVD sorry) their should be an option to reset in the settings menu back to default factory settings please do that if that does not work you have an R-Y problem from the hard drive which will be a chip issue unusual but can happen

info tech :

let me know what happens with the reset

Customer:

Thanks. I did consider doing a factory reset but if I do I will lose all the programmes I have recorded. There are a couple of recent ones that I would like to see but maybe I can pick them up on iplayer or the like. I'll check it out before I do the reset. May be a couple of days, but I'll let you know my decision. Thanks for the help so far.

info tech :

info tech :

Yes its the only option left open to you for this

info tech :

Let me know please

Customer:

Hi. I've just done the factory reset. No joy, Im afraid, the red is still missing. The good news is that the programmes on the hard drive are still there. The reset only affects the settings, timers etc, not the data on the hard drive. Im going to try to transfer some of them to a CD using the DVD recorder on my sound system. Wish me luck! After that I guess its destined for the dustbin. Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry none of them worked.

info tech :

info tech :

Yes the R-y signal is missing its likely to be switching chip

info tech :

Never come across that before on any recorder

Customer:

Thought I'd update you on the final outcome. We have decided to dump the recorder, it was a reconditioned unit from a Toshiba shop over two years ago. we are now buying a freesat box from Humax, and a local company is coming to fix a new dish for us. Thank you for all your help and useful ideas.