Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

how do I set the resolution on a 5 serie tv .

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;
Can you tell me what is connected to this tv that you would like to set the resolution ?
Or is it a question in general ?
Do you have any difficulty with the picture at this point ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The electric tripped out due to a kitchen appaiance nad the tv came back on telling the resolution needed setting .The is a picture with sound but it keeps going off and comimg back on again with thin black lines across the screen. The tv is on a on a 1.4 satilite dish with a freesat box. Resolution are 1280x720 32 inch screen

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
O.k then right now before trying anything else , this is what I would suggest.
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
If the satellite receiver was also tripped then unplug it as well during that time and give it a few minutes to reboot when you plug it back.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No still the same. The lead from the sat box is the HDMI1 /DV1. does the sat box resolution setting have to be the same as the tv settings.

I have tried another tv with the sat box and everything is fine so it must be the tv resolution setting as it tells me on screen.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then I`ll start by saying that your tv just replicates /displays whatever picture is sent to it as a set resolution determined by the equipment sending it (freesat box in this case) and at up to 1080p/60p (frames)

That is the maximum resolution at this point for standard video equipment .

But again ,, the tv does not set the resolution it merely display what is sent to it , it is just a monitor and if the resolution can be changed then it will be at the equipment that sends it .

Usually you can lower the resolution but by default equipment like blueray ,cable box, satellite receiver etc. will send the picture to the max. resolution it can .

The option to lower the resolution is usually there so that equipment will be compatible with older TV's but again it has to be manually lowered as it runs at top speed if you will by default .

So , if the problem persists then the solution is at the freeview box and perhaps I could help you with it if you could give me the model number of that box.

I also noted that you said hdmi/dvi , does that mean that you go from hdmi to dvi at the tv ?

How old is this tv ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we have finished thanks