info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

i have a samsung tv and one morning it just wouldnt switch

i have a samsung tv and one morning it just wouldnt switch on, what could be wrong with it?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Do you have any power light lit or blinking on the front of the set please?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thanks for ur reply,

no light or anything

alyssa

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alyssa
OK Thanks
The set does have a problem here if you are sure their is power reaching the set, the next moves will depend on your\someone you know ability to use a meter and carry out voltage checks?
The power board is most suspect here we begin by making a visual check of the capacitors on the power board then make a couple of voltage checks it may lead to replacement of the power board or mainboard is this within your or maybe a friends scope to carry out?
I will be happy to help you with this to a conclusion (this thread never closes)
Otherwise an engineer will charge around £80-£100
Let me know if you need more info
Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have
Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do i just start by taking the back off the tv and locating where the power enters the unit

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Have you got a meter?theirs a couple of checks that are needed to confirm if the power board is bad?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yeah i have a meter,do i set it to 200v

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Get the back off the set (make sure set is disconnected from the wall)then locate the power board by tracing the powercord to it, then somewhere within 3 inches of where the powercord hits the powerboard you will see a fuse, set the meter to resistance or continuity, measure across the fuse you should read 0 ohms or near 0 ohms or the meter will sound if on continuity, let me know the results of this test
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks i have opened up the tv and located the fuse,it looks as though the fuse has blown as it is black

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Alyssa you can try a fuse if you like you have nothing to lose by doing that (make sure set is disconnected from the wall)take it to maplins they will give you another fuse of the same current type.
If that fuse blows you will need to replace the powerboard itself that the fuse is on, get the part number of the board it usually begins BN and go to www.flattvparts.co.uk or www.lcdtvparts.co.uk for another board cost will be around £50_£70
Let me know if you need more info
Many Thanks
Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brilliant,thank you very much,its now working after i have put in a new fuse

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully you fitted the right value one, thats great news you was in luck!
Let me know if I can do anything else.
Please remember to rate the answer positively thank you, ***** ***** see a rating bar with this post
Thanks again
Anthony