info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have Samsung TV model LE22S86BD. It stays on for a second

Customer Question

I have Samsung TV model LE22S86BD. It stays on for a second or so (picture) before going to a blank screen. The sound is fine. Is this repairable or terminal?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Sorry for your trouble here
If you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. Once the screen is blank nothing appears on the screen.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
The problem Nigel is the backlight is going out, the backlight is controlled by an invertor and its this thats most suspect however a couple of voltage checks are needed before deciding to replace that board if you think you can do this work please let me know I will provide you with more details on work required if you have a meter that will be very helpful.
The backlight itself illuminates the pixels.
If this is not within your comfort then you will need an engineer sorry this is not something easier
Let me know if you need more info
Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have
Many Thanks
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to go to bed (work in the morning - its 11:10 pm where I am) any idea on time scale or can I just leave my session open? Thanks.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
I have replied above?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Anthony, I sent an earlier reply that does not appear in the dialogue. I said I have a meter and could take the voltage readings if you can tell me where to take them. Also if the volts show (what? zero?) would I need an engineer to replace the part of could I get it and do it myself. Thanks.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Its a step at a time I will walk you through
When you get the back off the set you will see the invertor it runs down the left or right hand side of the set, you will also see the voltage feed to the invertor from the powerboard please measure this voltage (its the lead that goes from powerboard to invertor)black lead to metal chassis red lead to plug you should read around 20 to 30 volts dc (do this during the fault)
You can replace this yourself once we confirm it to be bad
Anthony
info tech, Technician
Experience: Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Power board and Voltages

Not sure if I can continue this sequence but attached is photo of board in the TV with the points at which I was able to measure voltages. They appear to be nearest points to cables going to the screen back light. They read 840V AC when the light is on and screen working. They both read ZERO V when the light goes off. There appears to be a fault on the board but no visible issues eg burnt components etc. Does this require and new board via a service engineer or are parts available to replace it myself. Thanks for you excellent help so far. Nigel

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Can you take a photo of the entire inside of the set I will send it back with info
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Anthony. Photo attached.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nigel
Nigel they have changed the spec of this set the invertor is part of the powerboard its a power\invertor board now before we get involved with if this is the issue I want to make sure we are singing from the same hymn sheet here so I want you just to perform another check, in a dark room can you see ANY light at all on the display?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The fault is intermittent. I have just watched a considerable length of normal operation this evening, but yesterday it was only staying on with a lit display for about a second each time it was turned on, then there was perhaps half an hour when it was working - which was around the time I took the voltage readings I gave you, some on, some off. When its on the display is normal, when its off there is nothing. At the moment it is working again. Since this is the case and it is very difficult to diagnose intermittent faults (I know!) perhaps I should just thank you again for your excellent efforts and wait until the fault either goes away (?) or settles down to a hard fault. It has occurred to me to wonder if some of it may be temperature related as I have the back off the set at the mo which may help cooling. I shall try replacing the back and see what happens. Thanks for your help, Anthony, lets call time on this until something happens. Cheers, Nigel.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
It may be poor earthing please try tightening (but not over-tighten)the screws that hold the board to the chassis as the board usually is earthed through one or more of those screws let me know if you have any joy, otherwise we may consider replacing that board
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have taken the board out and then re-seated it. I noticed that the back of the board was quite dirty. So I cleaned it. May have been dust attracted by static or by warm air passing by. But its clean now. having replaced it the set worked ok - but then it did that from time to time anyway. Am now out for the day so will check again on return.

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know
Anthony