info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have an old model 28w33 TV which was working perfectly when

I have an old model 28w33 TV which was working perfectly when we went away on hols but when we got back the screen is rainbow coloured and we cannot adjust the colour back to normal. Has the tube failed??
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
info tech :

info tech :

Is it in coloured patches?

info tech :

Let me know when your in chat thanks

info tech :

I am switching to regular question and answer as we may have a problem with chat

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes circular with darker in corners. Cannot get skin colour at all - purple/ pink/blue prevalent
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
No its not the tube the problem is the "purity" this is when the tube gets "gaussed" or magnetised because the degaussing thermistor instead of doing that degaussing goes faulty and gausses (magnetises)the tube causing these bad purity errors,now ideally this device needs replacement however its possible disconnecting it may work in the short term do you want to try that?
Because the set is a CRT one I will need a photo of the inside of the set prefer near where the powercord enters the board as that is where the part is
Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't do that right now I'm afraid - needs two of us to move it. May try later.
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know, if its not within your ability to do that then an engineer will charge around £40 to replace the degaussing thermistor
Let me know if you need more info
Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have
Many Thanks
Anthony