Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The picture has gone dark and contrast , brightness dose n

Customer Question

The picture has gone dark and contrast , brightness dose nothelp
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.
To aid in the diagnostic process, please answer the following for me:
1) Any signs of life at all from the tv?
2) Solid or flashing power/status light (any pattern if flashing)?
3) Any brightness from the screen? If you hold a flashlight to the screen, do you see an image?
4) Any normal tv audio, or other sounds (buzzing, humming, clicking, etc)?
5) Does this happen with all sources? (cable/satellite, dvd, game, media/apps, etc)
6) Are you able to bring up the on screen tv menu at all?
7) Full make/model of the tv?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) yes the picture is showing but dull

4) yes good audio

5) Yes with all sources

6) yes you are able to bring up the screen menu

7) Samsung TV Model LE46B530P7WXXu

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Is the menu screen affected (dark) as well?

Is it consistently dark across the whole screen, or is a portion or half of it brighter than the rest?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the whole screen is dark

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
From what you've described, this means that either the lcd panel itself is failing, or the backlighting (lamps/inverters/power supply) are failing, resulting in the dark picture.
There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.
If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm a hardware failure.
This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). To give you an idea, replacing the power supply / inverters will run you about $100 in parts.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.
For a 5 year old tv though, it may make more sense to simply replace it at this point - you can get a brand new LED tv, with a fresh warranty, of the same size, in the $400 range.
Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

was not satisfied with answers given

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, Eric, to be the bearer of bad news, but it is my responsibility to provide an honest and accurate answer in response to the information you've provided. I apologize there isn't a better outcome here, but in cases like this I'm limited to diagnosing the problem and recommending practical options for how to proceed.
Had you taken the set in to a repair shop, you'd be charged a $100 diagnostic fee, for the exact same information and outcome in the end.
I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.
If you would like further help, I'm happy to assist with parts to repair yourself, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacements, if you'd like.
If in the end you still feel that the information I've provided is absolutely without value, and that it is fair and reasonable for you to utilize my time at no cost, I can request a refund of your deposit for you. In that event, I'd ask that you withhold rating entirely. A negative rating has no bearing on the payment, harms my reputation, and would prevent me from assisting you further.
Best regards,
Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

from the start the picture was showing and has gone dark but still showing, and using the contrast or brightness made no difference

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
I understand Eric, and that issue points directly to a backlighting problem, as I explained earlier. So you are at the point of repairing/replacing the tv, with replacement being the more practical option for a 5 year old model.