Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Philips 37 inch Digital LCD Freeview Television Model

I have a Philips 37 inch Digital LCD Freeview Television Model PFL5522D
After viewing Photographs from my Laptop Computer on the T.V Screen
we then wanted to view a Programme on ITV 1. After disconnecting the Computer
we selected Channel 3 but the Screen is Blank and the Red Standby Light comes on
and although the Blue Light comes on for a second NO Tele Programmes appear !
It just seems locked on Standby with a Red Flashing Light . I can't get into the
MENU and the AV button to get the Channels back . Please Help . P.A.M
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- What type of connecting wire was used to hook computer to the TV, was it VGA or HDMI cable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HDMI Cable

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pamela for the info.
Can you please connect computer back in TV and check if TV stays On or still switch Off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Switches Off

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, have you tried to unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?
Also, how old is the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Television is 6 years old . Yes I did remove the TV Power Cord

for more than 10 mins but the result was RED Standby Light on

and when I pressed the Standby Button on the Remote The BLUE

Light LIt and a flash of Picture from ITV showed for 1 Second and then

back to the Standby Red Light !

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pamela for the info.
There are few circuit boards inside TV that can cause such symptoms, either power supply board or inverter board could be defective and rarely the main processor board could be cause of problem, it needs further troubleshooting inside TV with multimter to determine what circuit board is causing the problem to get it replaced which will help to resolve the problem, mostly the power supply board or inverter board found bad.
This kind of repair should be done by handy person to avoid any damage to the TV or electric shock because both circuit boards work on high voltage.
Please reply back if you want to do it yourself or may please call local TV repairman to have repair estimate which could be around $250 plus, if it was my TV I would spend that money on new flat panel TV instead of repairing this old one as new LCD/LED TV prices are very low now and latest model with current technology would be available around $300 in market.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.