info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

I have a Philips 42 inch l.c.d T.V (model no 42pfl 7404h/12),

Customer Question

I have a Philips 42 inch l.c.d T.V (model no 42pfl 7404h/12), Iv`e had the set for around 8 years, I run it with a Sky box ,using the Sky remote control and a philips blu - ray player.
Iam very happy with the set and sky box etc. A few months ago on turning the set off with the sky remote control on the "blue sky" appear`d a dark patch followe`d
by a drop down chart stating:
Upgrade Menu Local upgrades/applications
Local upgrades/ applications. No software found on inserted media.
Current software info
Te set then requires two or three attempts to turn off. Help
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
So are you saying theirs a banner with all those details on that you cannot get rid of?
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No after two or three attempts the set turns off,showing a clear "sky" prior to going off

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At the top of the dropdown is the following.

Philips Software Upgrade Application, Q5481-0.26.58.5

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for delay, are you sure this is happening with the TV and not the box?if you use another input like a dvd player does the same thing happen?
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No when I use the dvd player it closes down normally, Iam concern`d that nothing has appeared before having been plug`d in for the last eight years, what`s change`d and will it damage a excellent T.V

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
So just to clarify you have no problems when you use a dvd player you can watch that normally etc?
You dont have anything inserted into any usb or sd drive on the set?
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All that I have ` plugge`d into the T.V is the Sky system and the Philips dvd which I can watch normally ( whats hap`nd to make this show in the last six month`s having been fine for the previous eight years )

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Adrian
These problems can happen anytime
I am just curios as to why its only happening with the sky box which is odd have you rebooted the box unplug wait 5 mins then replug back in again?
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, a few weeks ago I took all associated cables out overnight!

I still have the banner. However if I just put the set on for say five to ten minutes in the morning no banner!

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Have you tried resetting to factory default?in the settings menu will be an option for this I think you have a software issue let me know if you dont see a reset option in the settings menu
Let me know how this works out
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, I have now tried that (yesterday), and still have the banner prior to closing down! all I would like to know is that this will not do any long term damage to a excellent T.V,

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Hello Adrian

Usually when banners start appearing like this on philips sets its because of firmware corrupttion their is a firmware upgrade for this set here

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/42PFL7404H_12/107-cm-42-inch-full-hd-1080p-digital-tv/support

Please click the above, you will see the firmware with the guide please follow the guide carefully, this is an ESSENTIAL upgrade for the set.

You asked if this could cause any long term issues the answer is yes it could go worse

Let me know if you need more info

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, because Ia`m not that confident with both computers and T.V`s I will contact a T.V engineering firm on Monday and hand It over to them! I was hoping to short cut this event initially by contacting you but ultimately my hope`s have been dash`dl .I will let you know how they get on with it (more money!)>

I will be in touch, thankyou

Adrian

I wll rate you then.

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Adrian OK for that but this is a firmware issue and that update is at the philips site obviously if you cant do it you will need someone who can, let me know how you go on with this and thanks for the commitment to rate when ready
Thanks again
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony what do you mean by a firmware issue? Iam still waiting for the engineers to arrange collection.

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Adrian all electronic consumer equipment that has a computer based system has firmware and software controlling how it operates without this the unit would just be dead that includes cell phones\hometheater\bluray\dvd\kindles\ipad\ipod\tvs\gaming systems\PC\etc etc, now every now and again the manuf will spot a problem with the firmware and bring out an patch or upgrade to correct it or simply add more things to it, now the firmware can go corrupt too and if their is an upgrade its a good opportunity to replace the firmware already on board and correct any issues you may be having as bad firmware can cause hundreds of different problems.
So that link I sent you has a link to the firmware which you download to your PC transfer it to a flash drive then this goes into the TV, the TV will upgrade itself, you do need though to follow the guide carefully.
Let me know if you need more info
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, many thanks I`am still waiting for the engineers to call( all loan sets are out), I have spoken to them about "firmware" problems and they have heard of it but never encountered it .I will let them "follow the guide carefully" I feel theres too much to o wrong if I attempted it!

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.

Adrian you must have spoke with the receptionist as firmware is a daily duty in a TV workshop

If the firmware does not work then the mainboard is replaced

Just so you understand this is a procedure the most likely cause is bad firmware

Let me know

Adrian I don't receive any credit from the site until you rate the answer positively so please consider doing that thank you

Regards Anthony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, basically my local firm do not want to know! I went to Currys PC world and spoke to them and they said th ey would send it off for repair for a price of £100. As they told me that iam looking at new T.V`s of £300.I will wait for the sales and get a new (not philips ) t.v.

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Did you get around to doing the firmware yourself?their is an upgrade in that link above,someone with a little computer knowledge would know how to do it if you cant do it yourself.

Sorry this is something your not comfortable with.

Please could you rate the answer positively as this is the only way I receive credit for my time thank you

Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, Iv`e rated you excellant, thanks for all the advice it`s not your fault that I cannot get a response from the only T.v engineer on the Island! (are firmware problems ) a common thing in T.V`s or is it only Philips sets?.

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Adrian I have not been rated yet, their will be a rating bar with this post you need to select a positive rating then click submit or finish
Firmware issues are THE most common issues with all TVs including plasma and LCD
Please remember to rate thank you
Anthony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Anthony, I rated you an excellent with my last submission. When I attempted it again I was informed that it would be another £20 out of my account, thanks for all your help (hopefully I will get past Xmas with the set! will I be able to use it as a games monitor after? have a nice Xmas.

Adrian

Expert:  info tech replied 3 years ago.
Adrian thank you for the rating

Their is no need to re-rate thanks again

Anthony