Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am looking at buying a Sony 1080 LED TV with built in freeview

I am looking at buying a Sony 1080 LED TV with built in freeview and hooking it up to my old Toshiba DVD/video machine which operates with a scart connection. I was told that the old DVD may not have a good picture when hooked up to the new TV - is this true?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the question.
With a new 1080 HDTV such as the Sony, these sets really need use of an HDMI or at the very least a YPBPY (Component Video), connection to get the best picture quality.
While your Toshiba player will work on this TV, it will not appear to be as sharp as it did when connected to a non-HD 1080 TV. That is because the resolution in the Sony is so sharp, you will actually notice the pixels of the image produced by the Toshiba DVD/Video recorder.
It would not hurt anything to connect it to the new TV however, and if you don't like it you can always opt for a newer HD Toshiba recorder as they do use HDMI for the connections as well as the component and composite video options.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I bought an HD ready TV would the DVD player work better?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
No, HDTV and HD ready are the same thing. HD ready simply means the TV is HDTV capable, and needs an HD device connected to it (Blu Ray player, Cable/SAT box, etc.) in order to use it's HDTV features. Any new TV that you buy, will not produce the image it is capable of using the older Toshiba player.