Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an old toshiba 32z44b TV. The picture is stretched

I have an old toshiba 32z44b TV. The picture is stretched horizontally so that the edges are missing. Changing from "wide screen" to 4:3 etc makes no difference. How can I horizontally squeeze the entire picture in so as to fit the screen?? Bob
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. I need to ask you for more information in order to tell you how to proceed.
1) How long have you had this set connected for, and when did the problem occur?
2) How do you receive broadcasts on the set- is it through a Cable/SAT BOX, or direct aerial from the wall to the TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the set is probably 15yrs old.

Receives via Sky +HD box. Not sure if we had the problem before installing that - I think we did.

Bob

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Bob.
Please check the following and let me know if you have any luck.
First, shut the TV and the cable box off. Then disconnect the Cable box from power for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Once it's rebooted, then check and see if the image fits your screen.
If not, then on the Cable Box remote (not the TV remote), look for a button labeled one of the following:
Aspect
Ratio
HD Zoom
Zoom
Format
(#) sign underneath the 9 symbol.
One of these buttons (whichever your remote has), will be the one that changes the picture to fit your screen size. Press CBL first on the remote, then use that button to change the picture size.
If you still have problems beyond these steps let me know and we can proceed.
If the problem is solved, then please rate my service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Only one I can find is going to "settings" on the Sky remote which gives "scart RF1 format" and "RF2 picture format". Tried "4;3", 4:3L" and "16:9" which are only options. Picture still off edge of screen eg cant read all of details on sports channel where teams/scores etc are shown on extreme bottm left.

Any ideas??

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Did you also try rebooting the Sky box as indicates above?
If so, can you please get me the Make and Model Number off of the box?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back. Best regards, Aric
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for delay - been away.

Did reboot

Model - Sky+HD

Bob

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is ***** ***** different tech. here.
You said that you think the problem was there before the sky box and that would not surprise me as this is not a configuration issue either with the tv or sky box but an internal problem with the tv itself.
This tv is a standard crt tv that uses deflection circuits (horizontal and vertical) and right now the problem is not with an adjustment but with the horizontal deflection circuit called "pin amp " output .
This circuit regulates the width of the defletion/picture and it was common for the output transistor to short and give a full deflection with no control either through the service menu or on older models still through a mechanical adjustment control.
Considering the age of the tv I would hardly suggest having this repaired as the parts could be difficult to find and the cost a little high for a 15 years old tv.
Not sure of the rates of the repair shops in the UK but here you would be looking at perhaps $150 which is approx. 94 pounds .
You can almost buy a new 32" flat screen tv for that kind of money.
Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the smiley) if that answers your question , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know .
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.
Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech