MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been a TV repair and electronics expert for over 30 years.
11519491

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EZ49VEB attached to a VIera

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder DMR EZ49VEB attached to a VIera TV and am getting notices appearing on the screen saying such things as ' your disc is not formatted properly, or your disc is faulty, or having formatted it again it then won't record or a notice appears saying ' no service' and again it will not record although we can still watch the TV ok. I have two such recorders and we get the same result on both. Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: TV
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that, I am Tech Michael
I will be helping you today.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and may take a bit of conversation to get the issue narrowed down and solved.
Are both Recorder units the same age?
How did you do the cleaning?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We bought the Television set 23/12/09. The first model DMR EZ49VEB 18/1/12 which worked fine and has continued to do so after moving it to my study when we bought the second one on 7/12/12. After about 6 months we started to get the odd messages on the TV screen. The Panasonic Dealer we bought it from had it back tested it but could not find any fault. After much consultation he offered to change the mechanism inside with that of a new one. This he did whilst I was in the shop. however THE PROBLEM DID NOT GO AWAY! The new inside was fitted 26/10/13 so it is only 12 months old. Speaking with Panasonic help line they suggested retuning to Shipping Condition to both the TV and the recorder. Then they said get new discs. I tried TDK, Verbatim, Sony but to no avail. Someone suggested a New HMDI cable so I tried that. In the meantime the earlier set was working OK in the study linked to a pretty old Panasonic TV? So I brought it down to the living room and connected it up to the VIERA TV. It worked fine for three or four programme recordings and then the messages started to appear again. ' Can't recognize the disc.' The disc is not formatted correctly' Your disc is faulty try another, and so on. In answer to your second question I used Acc-Sees ' Professional DVD lens cleaner' for Audio & Visual cleaning and testing. Personally I am not convinced the problem lies with the recorder but look forward to you comments with interest.
Hi Roy, it would either be a communication cable inside the unit (which I highly doubt), or the HDD. I have been a technician for over 35 years and am completely sure of this.
I hope this helps?
Please rate kindly I will still be here for you no additional cost;-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the HDD?
Hi Roy that is the Hard Drive inside. The information the computer inside is corrupt due to failed disk sector.
Its not fixable, unless you replace the HDD as one part, its rater easy to do as well, and I can help you if you want to save the technician fee.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but you haven't explained why the recorder in my study works perfectly well in the study but doesn't work satisfactorily when attached to the downstairs TV set. There does not appear to be any problem with HDD in the study but develops a problem when used in the other situation. for instance we have just tied to make a recording and up comes the message ' can't set the start time correctly' I take the disc out and exchange it for another of the same make and hey presto it works ok. Maybe you can advise me please.
Hi Roy, Hi I'm sorry for some reason or another your message got mixed with another one, they are doing all kids of site upgrades that may explain this.
The issue you face is likely a bad laser assembly.
When they age, they can lose their ability to pick out sensitive information and you will get those kinds of errors.
It is a replaceable part but a bit pricey and some soldering is involved not much at all but you must remove two wires from the new Assembly that are in place as static electricity barriers so that static build up wont damage the unit during transport.
If this were me, and I am a 30 year tech, even I would replace the entire unit because of the part cost. The labor is only a few minutes.
it is very easy to replace if you have the tools necessary to do it.
Please let me know if I can help you further with this.
Thank you for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You say when they "age" ! My first recorder was 6 months old when the trouble started. This was replaced so the next one is now 12months old and has been faulty for 6 of those months. The older one which I use in my study is the oldest at about 2yrs but only plays up when I use it downstairs. Sorry but I am still not convinced we have the answer.
Hi Roy that is strange, you may have a faulty wire in this case. The TV can not cause this issue.
It could be some sort of interference from something downstairs, but usually this has nothing to do with the units location. I have been a tech for over 35 years and never have I seen that because the problem it is having is it cant read the disks for one reason or another. You can try a good quality cleaning disk on this unit it may help.
If I were you I would try another brand of DVDs, that may very well help also.
I will be here when you need me.
We will get to the bottom of this for sure;-)
Please rate kindly.