Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

i have a sharp sound bar ht-sb30 iwaNT TO CONNECT TO SHARP

Customer Question

i have a sharp sound bar ht-sb30 iwaNT TO CONNECT TO SHARP TV LC-40CT2E BUT CANT GET IT TO WORK
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. The reason you're not able to get these working is because they're incompatible in terms of connections. Your TV uses a Digital Optical jack to output sound, and the soundbar only uses Analogue jacks to Input sound. So that soundbar is only good when connecting the Red and White RCA jacks from a Cable/SAT box directly to the soundbar. The TV is designed with a digital output that's to be used with a digital surround system.
There is a workaround however, and that is if you're using a Cable/SAT box, simply connect the audio outs from the box directly to the soundbar.
Or, if you've got multiple sources (SAT, cable, DVD, etc.), connected to the TV, then you would use a digital to analogue converter between the TV and soundbar.
An optical cable connects to the TV and converter, then you can use analogue cables between the converter and the soundbar. The link below is to the converter and optical cable you would need for this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Mountain-Digital-Analogue-Converter/dp/B0074JZ8ZW
Here is the optical cable you would need as well:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XO-Digital-Optical-Premium-Install/dp/B002NLUFAO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413662735&sr=1-2&keywords=optical+cable
Those are the components you would need to get this particular TV working with this specific soundbar.
If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have connected to sky box sound works fine but will not turn off to standby i have ordered converter and cable thankyou

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know. Please keep in mind that we are all independent Techs on here, working on our own time, and are only credited a portion of the deposit one we are rated POSITIVELY.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have got the converter one end of the toslink cable links into the converter where does the other end go there is no place on the dvd for itthank you

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Nothing was ever mentioned about a dvd in your original question. The optical cable goes into the TV and the other into the converter. Then analogue cables connect the converter to the soundbar. If you need further assistance please elaborate with the rest of the details of your system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im afraid i may be a bit thick iam 84 but there dose not seem to be a socket in the tv for the optic cable to connect to thankyou

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. This is an elusive model and I finally pulled up the manual. Sharp used an SPDIF jack on this set that uses a standard RCA cable in digital format. You would run this RCA cable to the single RCA jack next to the optical connection on the converter. Then run RCA cables to the soundbar. If you need further assistance or get stuck let me know.