Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

i have a vcr/dvd combo PF4E WHICH HAS LOST POWER. Fuse ok but

i have a vcr/dvd combo PF4E WHICH HAS LOST POWER. Fuse ok but no signs of life.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- How old is the player and how long it have had the problem?
- Do you have multimeter and can check volts on circuit board inside player?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

DID YOU RECEIVE MY REPLY?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
No, but this one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The machine is about 15yo and i have asmall test meter for dc and ac

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Dave for the info.
Can you please check 5V DC output on power supply section in player with multimeter and reply back with the readings?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where will i find that ? can yiou send a schematic.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Please follow the AC Cord going in the recorder which plugged in power supply board, there would be two connectors going to other circuit boards and marked as CL051A and CL052A
5V DC should be available at pin-6 of CL051A connector.
I Have to send you additional service offer to provide you service manual copy which will cost you around $15, please reply back if you need schematics for this recorder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i've traced connections to other board and will now plug in to find readings .do i eath on chassis or on input neutral

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Yes, need to touch black lead of meter to metal part like VCR chassis etc for ground and use red lead to check volts on mentioned pin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

getting no reading

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
ah OK, that means the switching regulator chip in power supply board is defective and I guess few other small parts like resistors or switching/ zener diodes would also be bad.
If you need to repair the power board on component level then need the schematics OR use the part number off of power board to search/ google it for price and stock info and due to age of player it seems it may no longer be available.
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes i suspected something had failed on the board but thought there may have been a simple solution . I will try Maplinns store to see if they have or can find a replacemnt board if not take your advice and buy new VCR/DVD. /thanks for help . DAVE

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Dave, I wish I had better news about the player problem.
Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.
Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech