Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My daughter has bought a Samsung series 4 smart t.v. has connected

My daughter has bought a Samsung series 4 smart t.v. has connected a sky satellite cable and power cable and scart lead from the sky box to the tv, has connected to the internet wirelessly, but when we scanned for tv channels which it completed but when we choose a channel a message comes on the screen :Check ariel cable connections and check saved channels-we cannot watch anything at the moment-do we need to connect a HD1 cable between sky box and tv or any other cables the user manual is not that explicit, thanks, ***** *****
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems.
Now I don't have the specific model of the TV, or the Sky box, but here is the thing:
The protocol when connecting an Aerial cable directly to the TV (not using any form of box), is to use the TV's tuner- and to do that you need to run a channel scan.
However, when you're using an HDMI, or Scart cable, you simply use the SOURCE button on the Samsung remote to select the SOURCE connections you're plugged into on the back of the TV.
So, if you're connected with an HDMI cable, say to HDMI 1, then you use the SOURCE button to select HDMI 1.
If you're connected using a Scart cable, say to the AV Input, then you use the SOURCE button to select AV.
This is the same for all other forms of connecting a SAT/Cable Box to the TV- you select that source using the SOURCE button on the Samsung remote.
Now, in additional to not knowing the model numbers of the devices, I am also not able to see if the cables are plugged into the correct jacks. The devil's in the details with these problems, so what I would suggest is to:
1) Try using the SOURCE button on the Samsung remote as indicated above. Make sure the Sky box is on first of course. Then if you still don't have a signal proceed with:
2) Post back with the full model number off of the back of the TV, and also the Model of the Sky box and which specific jacks you have interfaced on both the Sky and the TV.
If you need further assistance let me know, and once satisfied please -do not forget to click a "POSITIVE RATING" so that I am credited. If you don't see a place to rate- reply back to me and let me know.
You can follow up to the question at no additional charge even once you've rated.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Nigel, I posted an answer to your question above, are you able to view it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried changing source from HDM1 to AV but there is no AV to choose from when source button is pressed. The model of the TV is:

UE32H4510AKXXU, type UE32H4510

Amstrad Sky box model is (this is in the bedroom) -DRX550 The Samsung remote is BN59-01178C

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

"Also the Model of the Sky box AND which specific jacks you have interfaced on both the Sky and the TV."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ive given you the sky box make and number the connections between the sky box and tv is 1 scart lead plugged in the sky box in tv scart and the other end plugged into the only 1 scart connection in the tv

Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Make sure the Scart cable is connected from the "SCART AV OUT" on the SKY box.
The other end of the cable will connect to "SCART AV IN" on TV.
With the Aerial lead connected DIRECTLY to the Sky box, turn on the Sky box.
Press SOURCE on the Samsung remote and tell me your options on that screen please./
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
I'm simply asking what Sources it allows you to choose from.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up with you and see If you've received all the information you needed. If not, feel free to reply back. Best regards, Aric