Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

My hitachi L42VK04U tv has no sound, what can be wrong?

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

Is this tv connected to a cable box/converter,satellite receiver,digital converter etc ?
Or directly to antenna/cable from the wall outlet ?
Do you have other equipment like a dvd,bluray,games etc. connected to this tv ?
If so , did you notice this problem no matter what equipment is playing on tv ?

Could you please lookup your tv`s model number located on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My tv is connected to a cable box.there is no other item connected to the tv.the serial no. Is V12E34737

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then as a loss of sound caused by te cable boxis very common , the first thing to do will be to reboot it this way ;

Pull the cable box`s power cord off the wall outlet (cable box only) for a couple of minutes.
In the mean time turn off the tv and turn it back on only after you plug back the cable box power cord.
Note that it may take a couple of minutes for the cable box to reboot after you plug it back ,just give it time.

Let me know how it goes and and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the smiley) if that answers your question / does the trick as it is the only way i get paid for helping you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll try something else
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did what you said but there is still no sound

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then in that case try to unplug the tv`s power cord and hold the power button directly on it for 20 secs and try it again .

That will do it for the resets and if there is still no sound then we`ll mode onto something else.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Itried that but still no sound

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then can you tell me what type of cables/connection you are using ?

Is it HDMI ,color coded cables/plugs ,SCART etc. to connect the cable box to the tv ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has HDM1 cable to thecable box, not colour

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then as you have no other equipment connected , do you happen to have a spare set of color coded cables like red/white/yellow audio-video cables ?

And does your cable box have that type of audio/video terminals at the back ?

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
If you do have a spare set then beside connecting the cable box on the tv`s side input for a test , i would have a separate test let me know ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No my cable box has no colour connectors

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.
O.k then do you have anything that you could try to connect temporarily into those side input terminals ?
Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

About that cable box , is it a dvbt or sky box type of thing ?

Can you receive local programming through the tv`s antenna/cable terminal at the back ?

What i`m getting at here is to try anything else than the cable box to see if the tv or the box is at fault

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a virgin media box butive tried bypassing the box using just the tv but it still has no sound

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then and when you bypassed the box , even though you had no sound, did you get a picture ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes picture but no sound

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then it would indeed look like the tv is the culprit.

You could always try to get sound out of the headpphones jack on the side of the tv as it does have its own audio circuit and volume control in the tv`s menu to get sound out to something like a soundbar ,small sound system or even a pair of computer speakers .

This would most likely cost less than having the tv`s main board replaced at a cost of £150 + and would give you a better sound than the tv`s own speakers in any case.

If no sound at the headphones jack then the optical audio out on your tv or audio out on the virgin box could be used but then you would need a sound system or sound bar that can process optical audio .

These would be the alternatives to a repair.

Hope this help and please take the time to rate my answer positively (use the smiley) if that answers your questionas it is the only way i get paid for helping you , otherwise do not rate at all , just let me know and we`ll see what can be done.
Note that you can reach me here at any time after rating if you have questions or need help setting up one of the alternatives i listed above .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The sound is ok through the headphones

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

O.k then that headphone jack could be used for a pair of computer speakers if you have a set handy or anything like a small amp and speakers or soundbar as i suggested.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

By the way , you can download your tv`s manual by clicking on the link below;

http://help.digitaluk.co.uk/pf/197/webfiles/DUK/Manuals%20&%20Guides/Hitachi/User%20Manual/IDTV/Hitachi-L42VK04U.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your advice.I have connected a soundbar to my headphone jack and it is working now.Thank you again for your help.

Expert:  Jack replied 3 years ago.

Glad to hear that and thanks for the feedback , always nice to hear a success story .

Cheers