Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Samsung LCD 40'' T.V. serial number - (640735 SAMS

I have a Samsung LCD 40'' T.V. serial number - (640735 SAMS LE 4OC580). A message has appeared on the bottom left hand of the screen - (NEW DEVICE NOT FOUND / USB2 POWER OVERLOAD). Is it possible to download the firmware upgrade via my laptop connected to the T.V. by an HDMI cable?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions ;

Do you have anything plugged into that USB 2 port or did you try to perform and upgrade with something else than a USB key ?

With an actual external drive instead of a usb key for example ?

If you take out the drive or key , do you still get that message ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi jack.

We have performed none of the above. There is currently nothing plugged into the USB 2 port.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then you are simply trying to get rid of that message and thought that a firmware upgrade might do the trick , is that correct ?

By the way , the answer to your question is no you cannot perform an upgrade via the hdmi port , it has to be usb .

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

You could give a try to a firmware upgrade but this may very well be a hardware problem , namely the tv`s main board.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

If you haven`t got the upgrade yet then you can get it at the link below;

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/LE40C580J1KXXU

Give it a try and let me know how that goes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jack.

Downloaded firmware onto computer, followed instructions, copied firmware file onto usb memory stick & plugged into t.v. T.v. shows that the file is on the usb stick but gives no option for extracting software onto t.v.? Not using original remote control ? original remote replaced by universal type. Could this be the reason for not being able to extract file onto t.v.?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Usually this is done by turning the tv on while the stick is already plugged into the tv and the upgrade starts automatically , have you tried that ?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

In the tv`s menu you should be able to see this and do it there as well , click the link below;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99qchek38iuetdb/2014-11-11_1020.png?dl=0

This would be found under TOOLS as far as the manual shows it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jack.

It seems that the universal remote that we have does not allow us to get into the full t.v. menue, which consequently prevents me accessing the tools option. Looks like we might have to purchase a new remote before fixing this problem? Does this sound a possibility to you?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Not sure about the universal remote and how far you can get into the tv`s menu but you have to get into "tools" as far as i can see and if that cannot be done with the universal then yes you would need the original .

You can get that remote at the link below by the way ;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C580-Genuine-Remote-Control/dp/B006GEI1SC

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok. Thanks for your time Jack, will give that a try.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

No problem , much welcome and thank you for the ""excellent " rating

Let me know if you have other questions later on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will do. Take care..