Aric
Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hi I have a Sharp TV when pointing remote at stand by button

Hi I have a Sharp TV when pointing remote at stand by button it comes on and then goes off it does this about 10 times before TV comes on, would really like your help on this matter. Thanking You Mrs J McLoughlin
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello and I'm sorry you're having problems. Can you please get me the full model number off of the back of the TV?
Also, how long have you owned it for and when did the problem occur?
Additionally, does the standby light blink continuously or in a pattern (such as 2 blinks, pause, 2 blinks, pause, etc.)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi.....Thank you for getting back to me, Model number LC-42CT2E TV is 4 years old, the standby light blinks once then goes off and keeps repeating this till TV comes on, this has been going on for past 2 weeks. Hope you can Help. Mrs J McLoughlin.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. The standby light blinking indicates that the TV is having a hard time booting up, and this is usually due to a fault in the TV. If the set has been doing this for two weeks, then there isn't a quick fix for this problem, and it actually means the set will require service.
These TV's, are known for this failure- specifically there are capacitors on the power supply board within the set that drift out of spec and will prevent the TV from turning on right away. This problem gets worse until eventually the set will not power up.
In order to fix it, a Tech would need to inspect and replace any faulty capacitors and then test the voltages coming from the power board. The average cost for this type of repair is in the $250 range, and in most case not cost effective as the TV can be replaced for about the same cost.
I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.
If you have experience measuring voltages and are looking to attempt a DIY repair, let me know and I will continue to assist you.
If you need further assistance let me know and once satisfied, please click a POSITIVE RATING, as we are all independent Techs and not hourly paid employees.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you needed further assistance with this problem?