info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

Hi there, I have a samsung 60 inch LED about 3 years old and

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a samsung 60 inch LED about 3 years old and it has just started turning itself on and off repeatedly on about 5 second cycles with a clicking as it does it. the only way to stop it is to unplug it where it will cycle 2-3 times more then stop. Any ideas? Regards Chris
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello my name is Anthony

Customer:

I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?

Customer:

I am switching to question and answer mode thank you

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** number is *****
Ta Chris.
The cyclical on and off is not affected by any source input. It happens as soon as the tv is turned on.
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.

The first thing that must be done is the firmware here <<<<click

The problem is likely to be corrupt firmware please follow the guide, if the firmware is the same version it wont take in that case please come back here

Let me know if you need more info or their is any problems after you install the new firmware

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I know which firmware is on my tv as it won't stay turned on for more than a second?
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
AHHH sorry I thought you was getting some time out of it OK forget that for now, OK when it shuts down does the set drop to standby red light lit please?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, there is no response by the tv to either the remote or the buttons on the right side of the tv. It just cycles on and off at approx 3 second intervals, red light comes on and off, as does the Samsung smart tv logo for 1 second before there is a click and it goes off again....
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Chris OK this would have been the second check if the firmware was not resolving the issue the capacitors on the powerboard these will need to examined visually can you do this yourself initially?its a visual check that may lead to replacement of them or the board itself

Let me know please
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I'll take the back off the tv now
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know the physical condition of these capacitors look for leaking or ballooning or raised domed tops

http://snag.gy/fgDWp.jpg

Look similar to these in the graphic above

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the board where the power supply comes in there are 18 of these capacitors and they all look in perfect condition. Can I test them another way rather than visually?
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris

THIS CHECK Is always done visually it is possible that they are bad but they usua;;y show signs

Now you have a powerlight lit and its dropping to standby so its very likely to be mainboard issues the firmware is that bad that the set wont start at all

You will need to replace the mainboard thats the one with all the AV connectors on can you do that?

I will provide more details once I know

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try, but I don't understand the firmwear bit. The tv was working fine until two days ago, I haven't upgraded the firmware so doesn't that point to a hardware issue?
I'm going away for the weekend but will await your further instructions. Regards Chris.
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
No its usually the firmware but its so bad that the mainboard wont run come back here when ready and we will move on with it
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So are you saying I need a new main board or a firmware update?
Chris.
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
You cant do the firmware because the set is dead you need another mainboard but it IS the firmware thats gone bad, their is now no laymans way to rectify that
Anthony