info tech
info tech, Technician
Experience:  Television Engineer for many high street outlets 20 plus years experience
18621325

We have a sharps tv. When we switch it on nothing happens but

We have a sharps tv. When we switch it on nothing happens but if we take the mains cable out and put it back in again it works. Have to do this every time we switch it on. Have tried buying a new cable but still does the same. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
info tech :

info tech :

Welcome

info tech :

Thanks for the Question

info tech :

I will need the model number please found on the back of the set?

Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model is sharp lcd tv
Model number lc-32gd8e
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello Lorraine

Is the display black with just the sound on?or do you have no pic no sound red light lit?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes we have display black with sound on - other times nothing - light is sometimes green - other times not on at all. Once we remove mains cable and re-insert it works fine
Expert:  info tech replied 2 years ago.
Lorraine I happen to know this set very well, you have 2 issues with it.

The first issue with the black screen and sound on is the earthing on the invertor its poor and needs to be re-made in order for the invertor that controls the backlight to ground properly and work.
The second problem is bad firmware unfortunately the firmware on this set cannot be upgraded by yourself only a sharp service agent can do that, the only option left open to you would be to replace the mainboard (firmware runs the mainboard and is present on a chip on it).The mainboard will be around £30 to buy again I will provide details
The invertor should be done first
This may sound a little daunting to you however if you/someone you know is practical enough I can walk you through this work?let me know I will provide all details.
If your not comfortable with that then it probably is not an option to repair as sets of this size can be got very cheaply.

Let me know if you can do this or need more info

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony