Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Hi I have a Samsung Smart TV and have just bought a samsung

Hi I have a Samsung Smart TV and have just bought a samsung home theatre system. I have rigged it all up and using the set up tested that the speakers work, but I can't get it to work through my TV. I have a HDMI cable from tv to system. I then re-read the instructions and saw if it's not an ARC compatable TV I'd need an RCA audio cable. As it didn't work I assumed it wasn't ARC compatible but having now attached the RCA audio cable, it still doesn't work. There is a digital optical audio port on the tv and HT system. Needless to say I haven't got one but before I go out and buy yet another cable (why the heck don't they just include the cables???), am I missing anything else? Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Without knowing the model of the tv, I can't say for sure if it is arc enabled or not.

Nathan :

On most all samsung tvs though the ARC port is hdmi 2.

Nathan :

The rca cables won't work because the tv won't have actual audio outputs in that format, those red/white jacks you see are inputs, not outputs.

Nathan :

The optical however should always work, and is and equal quality connection, and actually better in many regards, ***** *****

Nathan :

An optical cable is cheap and easy to get, you can find them at most any electronics shop, or online.

Nathan :

There are no settings necessary to use optical, though it would be advised to go into the tv setup menu and set the tv speakers to off.

Nathan :

Other than that you just set the theater system to the optical/digital input mode, and it should simply work.

Customer:

Hi I the speaker settings are off. How do you set the theatre system to the optical/digital mode. I went through the settings and don't think I came across that...

Customer:

I mean the tv speaker settings are off!

Nathan :

Look in the remote for the theater unit, there should be a Source or Input button there, which will cycle through the different input mode (hdmi/tv, optical, coax, analog/aux, etc)

Customer:

Hi Nathan, Just to let you know got the optical cable worked out settings as you suggested and all good! Many thanks. Deborah