hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Installer
Experience:  I am a certified Cable Television installer in the state of Hawaii
40928634

Good afternoon I have a Blu Ray Disc player model BD-E8500m.It

Good afternoon
I have a Blu Ray Disc player model BD-E8500m.
It has been working fine, but will not now record from the TV.
When I try to record, I get the message "The recording (or timeshift) function is not available. Retry the action after checking the device".
What do I need to do to make it record as usual please?
Ian McPherson
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

This points to a communication problem between the TV and BD player.

Let's try the simplest thing first.

Please unplug both the player and TV from the wall outlet and wait for 60 seconds.

Whilst waiting, unplug the HDMI cable from the BD player and TV and replug them back in.

After the 60 seconds has elapsed plug the player & TV back into the power and turn them on.

Does the recording work properly now please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just tried this with no success.

I notice that the little red symbol for recording is on on the BD player but there should be nothing set to record because I have gone through removing the requests for recording where a serries had been set.

I look forward to your further advice

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just found how to get into 'settings' and that I had not removed the scheduled recordings as I had thought. I have now done that and the red light has gone off.

But, I changed the setting of where the recordings go to 'HDD' - and I tried then to set a recording which came up with the message 'The capacity of the device is insufficient. Ensure more capacity and retry.

I then attempted to remove the HDD location for the recordings but was unable to do so. Help Please!!!

Hello there please tell me the model number of your TV.

Well done on what you have succeeded at so far.

HDD is "Hard disk drive" so yes, your TV is trying to record the programming on a drive with insufficient space.

If you delete some of the recordings themselves on the player that should fix the issue.

The recorder has a capacity of 500GB.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201407/20140721135558231/[BD-E8900M-XU]AK68-02230A-01ENG_BM-0717.pdf

Please look at pg59 bottom left corner where is shows how to display the recorded items. You can then press the "Tools" button on the remote control to delete some items and make space on the HDD.

Do you have an external drive plugged into the player's USB socket please?

If so please look at pg28 which lets you choose the device to record the shows to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are quite right. I have now deleted some of the recorded items and everyting seems to be OK. For some reason, I thought that they 'dropped off the end of the recorder item list like they do on the recently viewed list. Thanks for your help.

Great news!

Thank you and please rate my service so that I can be paid for my time