Nathan
Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have a Panasonic TX-P50ST30B TV. We have to use the subtitles

We have a Panasonic TX-P50ST30B TV. We have to use the subtitles for my elderly mother. The subtitles appear across the centre of the screen at times. Is there any way we can reduce the font size and set them to appear at the very bottom of the screen?
Many thanks, Lorna
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Nathan :

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Nathan :

Hi Lorna,

Nathan :

could you tell me the source you use for tv shows? Do you use an aerial, basic cable connection, or a cable/satellite box?

Customer: Hi Nathan,
Customer: Thank you for your message. We view through a Sky box
Nathan :

Thank you for that information. With that in mind, the captions/subtitles will be generated by the sky box, and NOT by the panasonic tv itself, the tv only displays the video signal sent by the box - those captions are simply another portion of the picture overlaid on the rest of the image.

Nathan :

Start by going into the menu/settings on the sky box (look for a menu or setup button on the sky remote) then you should see a section there for captions, where you'll have options to choose the size, position, font, color, etc. It is likely all on automatic right now, but you can tweak those settings until you find a combination that suits your mother's liking.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still trying to sort the problem Nathan. I've searched but cannot find the 'captions' section.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
Do you see a Display or Options menu? It may be in a sub section under that, and could be called accessibility, captions, subtitles, or text
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Arghhh. Still no luck Nathan. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
There are so many variables here, it's difficult to give you exact steps. If you can give me the full model number of the box, I may be able to give you some more guidance, but even then there can be several different firmware revisions within the same model so it may not line up even then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Nathan. I will email you when I get home this evening. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, Lorna.
I'll watch for your update.
Nathan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan. Our Sky box is a 1TB 3D Anytime+ Sky+HD. Many thanks, Lorna
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hi Lorna, those are all features of the sky box, can you look for an actual model number? it may be printed on the front near the display, or on a sticker on the back/bottom. An example would be DRX890

Initially, try looking for a HELP or SERVICES button on the sky remote,

from there go to System setup, then Language/Subtitles, and elect the desired options there, being sure to save before you exit.